New CD more upbeat than last one

By Larissa Gula

Friendly Fires

Pala

XL Recordings

B+

Rocks Like: Phoenix, Passion Pit,… Friendly Fires

Pala

XL Recordings

B+

Rocks Like: Phoenix, Passion Pit, Empire of the Sun

Four years after releasing its debut album, Friendly Fires is back in action with a new release — as well as a tweaked sound — that’s hard to resist.

Friendly Fires still sounds like dance punk, but the band’s mood isn’t as somber as it used to be. Though certain tracks on Pala, particularly those that reach back to the band’s old sound, aren’t extremely uplifting, just as many preach about enjoying life in its present state. That variety affords the album a satisfying balance between new and old.

The band’s music combines a punk sound with a dance-club beat while adding a dash of percussion and funk. The result is a pretty darn appealing sound. The track titled “True Love” especially benefits from this combination of influences — the band takes a common topic and an overused title and brings it something fresh.

But not every song is happy — “Chimes” dials up the funk with lyrics like, “Kissing the lights / Missing your love / All through the streets / You’re on my mind.”

Another song, “Helpless,” uses the image of a rising tide to describe feelings of drowning and despair, complete with seagull sound effects to enliven the impression of a nearby vast ocean. This is a strange track — while other songs include appropriate mood music, it’s hard to tell what this one is trying to do. It’s as if the band tried to combine its old somber sound with its newer, upbeat sound. It didn’t necessarily work.

As with most albums, the singer’s voice is not always distinct from the music. Although some songs are perfectly understandable, others are not.

Overall, though, this album is solid and perfectly paced. Hopefully this band won’t take another four years to release something good.