Cover group to revive Queen for ‘One Night’

By Kirstin Kennedy

“One Night of Queen”

Tomorrow at 7:30 p.m…. “One Night of Queen”

Tomorrow at 7:30 p.m.

Byham Theater

Tickets $26.25 to $45.25

412-456-6666

The glory days of Queen might be long gone, but for some die-hard fans, that doesn’t mean the classic rock band can’t be continually revived.

Freddie Mercury-aspirant Gary Mullen and his band Gary Mullen and the Works will present “One Night of Queen,” a concert tribute to the title band, at the Byham Theater tomorrow night.

Mullen is perhaps one of the most famous Mercury fans in the world.

In 2000, his impersonation of Mercury helped him win “Stars in Their Eyes,” a British show in which fans attempt to emulate their favorite musicians. Since winning, Mullen and the Works have performed in countries all over the world. Mullen and his tribute band have held more than 150 shows each year for the past five years.

And his performances have caught the attention of at least one former Queen member.

Brian May, a former guitarist and songwriter for the rock band that produced hits like “Bohemian Rhapsody” and “We Are The Champions,” said Mullen “bears a remarkable likeness to Freddie, not only emulating Freddie’s unique stage persona but also accurately reproducing Freddie’s live vocal style and range.”

When Mullen performed in Pittsburgh in 2009, about 95 percent of the show sold out and 1,268 people attended, said Diana Roth, a spokeswoman for the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust.

“We are really pleased with how we are received in America,” Mullen said. “It is our fourth tour here, and I didn’t know what to expect. But it turns out that people even travel to see our shows. And that’s great for us to see.”

“One Night of Queen” consists of two sets that are less than an hour each. In its desire for complete authenticity, the touring group has elected to tailor its own aesthetics.

“‘One Night of Queen’ travels with their own road lighting package. This is rare for a show that will come to the Byham Theater, because we have one in-house,” said Bryan Briggs, production manager at the Byham Theater. “But the lighting is integral to the look of the show. They are recreating the look of a concert from the ’70s and ’80s that is quite authentic.”

When he performs onstage, Mullen incorporates costumes and makeup to assume Mercury’s flamboyant character. His band, as well, tries to capture Queen’s excited spirit when it plays hits like “Bohemian Rhapsody,” “We Are the Champions,” “Killer Queen,” “You’re My Best Friend,” “Crazy Little Thing Called Love,” “Under Pressure” and “Another One Bites the Dust.”

“Changing into Freddie is like being in a play,” Mullen said. “It’s always the other guy onstage,” he said referring to the fact that he takes on Mercury’s persona when he performs.

Indeed, Mullen hardly views his performances as his own accomplishments.

“The guy on stage is not the guy that I am. He is self-confident; an extension of myself,” Mullen said.

Off the stage, as well, Mullen has been asked to impersonate Mercury. Just recently, for instance, he finished working on a Japanese commercial featuring his voiceover impression of the singer.

Mullen said he is pleased with the anonymity his alter-ego affords: When he isn’t performing, he spends time with his wife and four children, with all the privacy of a regular civilizian.

Although he enjoys his off-time, Mullen never tires of championing his band.

“It’s not just Justin Beiber and Hannah Montana for kids,” Mullen said. Mullen said that kids enjoy the show alongside their parents, who might have seen Queen perform live in the 1970s and ’80s.