Exhibit raises awareness about mental health

By Natalie Bell

Crowded in a spiral pattern in the assembly room of the William Pitt Union yesterday were 1,100… Crowded in a spiral pattern in the assembly room of the William Pitt Union yesterday were 1,100 backpacks. A few were colorful — such as a “Blue’s Clues” bag and a Barbie lunch pack — whereas others had personal messages. And some weren’t backpacks at all, but satchels or briefcases.

“He was my best friend. My confidant. I spent the entire evening before with him, watching movies and laughing like old times. The next day, I placed him in a body bag, as it was my duty as a paramedic to do so. That was the darkest, worst day of my entire life,” someone wrote on blue-and-white paper tacked onto a black backpack.

The book bags are part of the “Send Silence Packing” exhibit organized by Active Minds — a national group dedicated to promoting mental health. The event was sponsored by Pitt’s chapter of Active Minds and Pitt’s Give Depression a Voice: Talk About It team.

The 1,100 bags, which were initially displayed on the Union lawn but moved inside because of the rain, represent the number of college students who die each year by suicide. The bookbags and satchels are donated by the family and friends of suicide victims, as well as by some who attempted suicide and survived. Many of the bags have personal messages attached.

“This was very brave and generous of the friends and family to have shared their story,” said Sharon Young, associate director of Pitt’s counseling center. “This is a powerful way of communicating this information.”

This is the exhibition’s third stop on a 14-stop tour that primarily visits universities in nine states. This particular project — which first went on display in Washington, D.C., in 2008 — is on its second tour and is aimed at college students.

“I hope people will realize that they don’t have to suffer alone,” said junior Jessica Stillman, president of Pitt’s chapter of Active Minds. She cited campus resources like the counseling center.

Suicide is consistently ranked among the top three causes of death for college students, who have a higher rate of psychological illnesses than older adults. At least three Pitt students have committed suicide in the past three years.

“[The bags] allow the students to connect to it. Most students are carrying a backpack,” said Brandon Doman, part of Active Minds road staff, adding that the organization has resources for people of all ages.

Nicole Pietrzak ­— another Active Mind road staffer — said that while on tour, she and Doman encountered many people who were unaware of their mental health resources or simply unaware of the difficulties people face. She said that some say “thank you,” and others say things such as “I could have been a backpack,” or “I’ve known someone who could have been a backpack.”

“Active minds’ big thing is that they’re changing the conversation about mental health … and erasing the stigma that it’s not OK to talk about [it], because you should,” Pietrzak said.

Wandering around the exhibit, Pitt students and faculty dipped down to read the families’ and friends’ notes about their loved ones who committed suicide. Pitt freshman Steven Turetsky, who was visiting the exhibit, also believes talking is important.

“There’s a silence about it. It’s important to start a conversation,” said Turetsky, who lost his father to suicide. “Even if you aren’t affected by it — everyone knows someone [who is].”

Signs displayed around the room included statistics, facts and feelings from the perspective of people with mental illnesses. Written in stark black against white paper, some delivered facts:

“There’s 1 suicide every minute.”

In addition to hopeful messages:

“I am alive today because my family and friends saw depression signs and got me help.”

And ways to reach out:

“If you are in crisis or thinking about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK.”