Board committee elects new officers, trustees and revises University bylaws

Zoom screenshot

The Governance and Nominating Committee of Pitt’s Board of Trustees held a public meeting Friday morning to discuss resolutions to elect and re-elect members of the Board of Trustees and revise select University bylaws.

By Natalie Frank, News Editor

The committee voted to elect Mary Ellen Callahan and Louis Cestello as vice chairpersons for one-year terms. Callahan and Cestello have been on the Board of Trustees since 2009 and 2017, respectively. Thomas Richards will continue in his role as chairperson of the Board for a second year.

The committee also voted to elect Eva Tansky Blum, a former Board chairperson, as the new University director to the UPMC Board of Directors.

Besides electing new Board leadership, the committee also voted in favor of revising Chapter II, Article IV, Section 4.6 of the Bylaws of the University. The proposed revisions to the bylaws would allow any of Pitt’s schools or regional campuses to petition the Provost to extend the total number of years that a faculty member may serve without tenure in the tenure stream to no more than 10 years.

The committee also voted to elect and re-elect members of the Board as Trustees. 

Trustees re-elected for the 2021-25 class:

Sundaa Bridgett-Jones

Roberta Luxbacher

Thomas Richards

Adam Walker

Larry Merlo

SaLisa Berrien

Tamara Haddad

Herbert Shear

Trustees re-elected for the 2019-23 class:

Thomas Kurtz

Jeannine Schoenecker

New trustees for the 2021-25 class:

Madji Abulaban

Hui Debra Cen

Bryan Saleksy