‘Love Child’ an exhilarating riot

By Patrick Wagner

Ella Riot

Love Child

Independent… Ella Riot

Love Child

Independent Release

Rocks Like: Passion Pit, of Montreal, LMFAO

Grade: A

Mixing of Montreal’s frantic funk, a touch of ’80s pop and the indie rock sensibility of groups like Passion Pit, Ann Arbor, Michigan, group Ella Riot — formerly known as My Dear Disco — is dancing its collective ass off while kicking out some serious jams.

On Love Child, the group seems to be making a defining statement about its sound, often skating on the edge of pure pop-ecstasy with Michelle Chamuel’s cotton-candy vocals flowing through trippy synths and a rockin’ backbeat.

“Just One Way” moves like an outtake by a Pat Benatar who grew up on the Killers. Synthesized slabs are woven with uptight notes to make the strong, bass-drum-centered beat seem like a swirling vision of reality.

Without repeating themselves, the group’s members move into an electric ballad, “Karma,” which channels the songwriting into a more familiar series of successful hooks and verses that croon with background voices. It might seem a bit mismatched on first listen, but with a dynamic hi-hat matched with beautifully flowing synths, it’s a fist-pumper.

The newly released album’s first video is based upon the Madonna-meets-Mayer Hawthorne rager “It Could Be.” It features a funk bass played in a punchy progression that really makes the track shine, while poppy vocals and keyboards keep you listening. It practically yells audio cassettes, but still feels at home on an iPod.

Ella Riot isn’t afraid of reaching into numerous bags of tricks, and through that versatility its members have created a document of captivating dance-rock. With entrancing female vocals and solid musicianship underpinning that diversity, this isn’t just a songwriting coincidence, but rather a group effort that’s paid off in a big way.