Softball: Panthers to face DePaul in conference play

By Lauren Kirschman

After losing all three games of its opening series with Louisville, the Pitt softball team will… After losing all three games of its opening series with Louisville, the Pitt softball team will look to get back on track against DePaul this weekend.

The Panthers and the Blue Demons will face off in a doubleheader on Friday with the first game beginning at 11 a.m. and the second game starting at 1 p.m. at the Petersen Sports Complex.

Although Pitt couldn’t pull off a victory against Louisville last weekend, the Panthers did find some success in the record books. A home run from Pitt catcher Holly Stevens gave the team its 33rd blast of the season, setting the single-season record for Pitt.

It was Stevens’ sixth home run on the season, second only to Kelly Hmiel’s nine.

The Panthers will look to translate that offensive capability into wins this weekend as they look to climb the Big East standing. Sitting at 24-11 overall, Pitt’s 3-3 record in the conference places it sixth among 13 teams in the Big East. DePaul is third at 8-1 and 24-11 overall.

Both Pitt and DePaul excel defensively, as the Panthers lead the conference with a 1.55 ERA and DePaul sits at the top of the Big East in fielding percentage (.978). The Panthers are also solid on the field with a .973 fielding percentage.

Offensively, senior outfielder Alex Morocco leads DePaul with a .391 batting average. Hmiel leads the Panthers with a .358 average.

Neither team sits among the Big East leaders at the plate. Pitt is sixth in team batting average at .281, whereas the Blue Demons are ninth with a .276 average.

After finishing the home series with the Blue Demons, the Panthers will return to the road for a three-game series at Connecticut Saturday and Sunday followed by a three-game series at St. John’s April 21-23.