Meet the editors: Sports

Pamela Smith | Visual Editor

Dalton Coppola (left) and Stephen Thompson (right) are the sports editors for the 2021-22 academic year.

By Dalton Coppola and Stephen Thompson

At the sports desk, we cover any and all things Pitt sports. Although we love to cover revenue sports like football and basketball, our talented team of writers covers all Pitt sports from men’s soccer to gymnastics.

We tell stories from a perspective not many other outlets can provide you with — the perspective of current students enrolled at Pitt! From feature stories, contentious columns and game coverage, we do it all. Follow along @PittNewsSports on Twitter for any updates and to read our teams’ stories. Do you have a story idea? Contact us at [email protected].

Take a minute to meet two people crazy enough to make writing about Pitt sports their entire personality.

Stephen Thompson, Sports Editor

My name is Stephen Thompson and I’m a senior from Washington, D.C. majoring in communications and political science and the sports editor at the Pitt News for this school year. Over my three years at TPN — one as a staff writer and two as the assistant sports editor — I’ve covered everything from gymnastics to football to volleyball, but my bread and butter is men’s basketball. I took over that beat my first year and still lead our coverage of Jeff Capel and the Panthers today. Family roots in New England have ingrained a deep love of Boston sports in me. When I am not writing about Pitt, you can typically find me being obnoxious about the Patriots, Celtics and Red Sox on Twitter or in person.

Dalton Coppola, Assistant Sports Editor

My name is Dalton Coppola and I’m the assistant sports editor for the 2021-22 academic year. I am a sophomore majoring in political science and minoring in creative writing. I grew up in Wall Township, N.J. by the Jersey Shore and have always had an affinity for football and baseball. I fell in love with the Yankees and Steelers at a young age and never looked back. I’m looking forward to covering Kenny Pickett’s final year in the blue and gold as I take over as the football beat writer this season. I’m looking forward to having the opportunity to work with such a motivated and talented staff at The Pitt News!