Places to shop for back-to-school clothes in Pittsburgh

Kaycee Orwig | Senior Staff Photographer

There are local boutique, vintage and secondhand shops in nearly every neighborhood in the ‘Burgh and each has something unique to offer.

By Nadiya Greaser, Staff Writer

Back-to-school is here, and back-to-school shopping is finally happening in person. After a year of mostly online shopping, the idea of trying on a jacket in a real dressing room is inordinately exciting, and students in Pittsburgh have plenty of dressing rooms to choose from. There are local boutiques, vintage and secondhand shops in nearly every neighborhood in the ‘Burgh and each has something unique to offer.

Whether you’re looking for a specific pair of vintage denim, a new sundress or just browsing, each of these shops has a variety of options and the best way to find what you like is to try more than one. Take the bus or go for a quick bike ride outside of Oakland to see what these shops have to offer.

Avalon Exchange (Squirrel Hill)

This vintage and resale shop in Squirrel Hill has a mix of vintage, designer and contemporary fast fashion brands. This means you’ll find Fjallraven backpacks next to Gucci clutches, and Forever 21 faux leather jackets next to vintage Levi’s denim and Diesel.

Their large stock and wide variety lends itself to browsing and is good if you’re looking for something specific, like a pair of jeans or a sundress. They have a great selection of older letterman and varsity jackets, and items in the store trend towards colorful, eclectic and kitschy cool.

The storefront is accessible to customers with mobility aids, and the dressing rooms are large.

Highway Robbery Vintage (Southside)

Highway Robbery, a locally owned vintage store on the Southside, has a curated selection of vintage from the ‘50s to the ‘90s. Their smaller storefront holds a collection of reworked vintage pieces alongside ‘80s graphic tees, old denim and other vintage apparel and accessories.

Highway Robbery dates their items whenever possible, so you know which denim is from the ‘60s and which designer scarves are from the ‘90s. The smaller storefront does mean less stock, but if you’re not looking for something specific and are willing to take a chance on a suede skirt, it’s ideal.

The storefront is accessible to customers with mobility aids, but the small dressing rooms are not easily accessible.

Hey Betty! (Shadyside)

Hey Betty! is a deceptively small storefront in Shadyside packed with vintage clothes and accessories. They have a wide selection of vintage scarves and bags, as well as other vintage accessories, but the real reason to go is the stunning collection of ‘50s and ‘60s dresses. You can often find a colorful and psychedelically patterned swath of sun dresses alongside the puffed sleeves and velvet of vintage formal gowns and prom dresses.

There is a step in front of the store and a narrow door, making it less accessible to customers with mobility aids.

Apricot Lane Boutique (Shadyside)

This franchise boutique in Shadyside carries a variety of pastel and pink basics and dresses, alongside jewelry and accessories and those unavoidable Pinterest-y felted hats. It’s like a storefront version of Lulu’s, with outfits and accessories that you’ve probably seen most recently on #RushTok. The store carries seasonal and on trend apparel, and is right down the street from a Gap, an Athleta and a Francesca’s, so if you don’t find what you’re looking for, it might be a quick walk down the street.

The storefront is accessible to customers with mobility aids and has wide aisles.

Mello and Sons (Lawrenceville)

Mello and Sons in Lawrenceville is a locally owned vintage and boutique apparel store. They have a large selection of vintage denim and curated vintage tees and sweatshirts, alongside Schott leather jackets and D.S. & Durga fragrances. They have curated collections of vintage Ralph Lauren and Levis, and carry the largest variety of vintage denim on this list. If you’re looking for something sexy-rockabilly-meets-James-Dean, check it out.

The storefront is accessible to customers with mobility aids via a slight ramp and has wide aisles.

No. 14 (Lawrenceville)

No. 14 is a boutique clothing and jewelry store with a wide selection of basics, athleisure and dresses. They are more expensive than some other shops on this list, and their dresses and outerwear often fall in the $100 and over range. Like Apricot Lane, their selection is on trend and seasonal, and they carry accessories and scented candles alongside pre-distressed denim and pastel sundresses. They have a selection of matching athleisure and loungewear sets in solid colors and prints.

The storefront is accessible to customers with mobility aids, but the aisles are narrow and there are some tight corners.

Fifty One Ten Vintage (Bloomfield) 

Fifty One Ten, a locally owned vintage store in Bloomfield, has the widest selection of vintage shirts, graphic tees and sweatshirts on this list. If you’re looking for vintage casualwear, classic flannels or brand tees and your style trends towards ‘80s-dad-but-kinda-hot-and-ironic, Fifty One Ten is your best bet.