Finding vintage treasures takes some work

By Natalie Bell

There’s almost nothing I won’t try on in a store.

When I plucked a seemingly hideous gray… There’s almost nothing I won’t try on in a store.

When I plucked a seemingly hideous gray and purple lace frock from the sale rack several years ago in Malena’s, a vintage boutique in West Chester, Pa., I expected it to look matronly and comical. But I slipped it on and magic happened: This pile of fabric turned into a fabulous 1940s tea-length dress that fit exquisitely.

To make the whole thing sweeter, it was $10, marked down from $65. The storeowner told me that she had seen few people bother to try it on because of how it looked on the hanger.

Finding the perfect piece when vintage shopping normally isn’t that easy. But combing vintage stores is a worthwhile means of seeking fashionable items and not as tough a task as you might think if you have the right mindset.

Knowing what you’re looking for isn’t always key, but it can be helpful. The old adage “nothing is new” rings true. Designers often take inspiration from the past.

For example, Richard Parsakian, owner of the vintage shop Eons Fashion Antique, on Ellsworth Avenue in Shadyside, brings up the resurgence of the skinny tie in men’s fashion — but these might be difficult to find in a retail store in Pittsburgh. And although high-class boutiques might sell them, they come with a hefty price tag.

The solution is going vintage.

“Every current trend is something I have,” Parsakian said.

His shop is tightly packed and neatly organized. Hats twist up from the counter into the ceiling in almost a mobile and there’s just enough room to walk through the many racks of dresses, jackets and other clothes. Parsakian sells clothing from the 1970s to the 1980s, and his clientele is made up of people from every age group.

But before going out and getting lost in the racks and piles of old clothes, here are some tips and strategies for successful vintage shopping.

Of course there are the usual boutiques, but there are a surprising array of places to go in search of old treasures. I’ve found inexpensive pieces — like an adorable felt hat — at flea markets, consignment shops, Goodwill and yard sales.

And for those who are willing to fearlessly wade through the building’s exercise T-shirts and worn out shoes, Goodwill might be the place to have some luck.

Remember, the clothes your mother might see as part of her out-of-style wardrobe from 20 years ago that she donated to Goodwill could be the fashion-forward look you’ve been searching for.

Despite the appeal of inexpensive and in-style, there are some things Parsakian looks for when he selects clothes for his store that are advisable tips to follow.

The shop owner suggests looking for wear and fading, particularly around areas like the underarms, places where your own clothing might discolor or wear. He also suggests checking the seams because fabrics and threads dry out with age and become brittle. For this reason, he says that garments before the 40s might be tough to find in good condition to use as “real” clothing.

Aside from that, there are these obvious points: Thin fabrics, like lace, will be more delicate than thick fabrics, like wool, but they’ll all dry out in time, so be gentle. Also be aware of parts that are misshapen or poorly preserved, as they could be difficult to fix.

In his own store, Parsakian marks any damage on the tag for potential buyers.

“I always mark my clothes,” he said. “If I see any glaring problems, I mark them.”

Despite the potential for wear and tear, there still are some advantages to going vintage. Many of the garments were made in the U.S. and are of a better quality than items similar in price and look that were made today — probably abroad.

Many see vintage shops and thrift stores as place to buy costumes, but in the racks and on the piles are valuable pieces that can spice up a wardrobe on a budget.

“Some people don’t treat it as real clothing. I treat it as real clothing,” Parsakian said.

Local shops

Ambiance (consignment and donations)

1039 South Braddock Ave.

412-243-5523

Avalon Exchange (Sellers are offered money on the spot)

5858 Forbes Ave.

412-421-2911

Consignment on Centre (consignment)

5503 Centre Ave.

412-682-3932

Eons Fashion Antique

5850 Ellsworth Ave.

412-361-3368

Goodwill (donations)

2600 East Carson St.

412-481-0922

5993 Penn Circle South

412-924-0070

509 East Ohio St.

412-322-5666

Hey Betty!

5890 Ellsworth Ave.

412-363-0999

The Salvation Army (donations)

44 South 9th St.

412-481-7900