Musical Theatre Artists hopes to foster professional collaboration

By Anna Weldon

Musical Theatre Artists of Pittsburgh

City… Musical Theatre Artists of Pittsburgh

City Theatre

Sunday from 6:30-9:30 p.m.

www.mtapgh.com

A new theater group in Pittsburgh has only held one meeting, but there’s already talk of a musical in the works.

Musical Theatre Artists of Pittsburgh, an organization dedicated to developing the area’s musical theater productions by fostering artist collaboration, will hold its second meeting at City Theatre in the South Side this Sunday.

Founder Erik Schark came up with the idea for MTAP last fall. He originally intended for the organization to be a support group for composers and writers, but after contacting a few individuals, Schark knew MTAP could be something more.

“The caliber of artists that responded enthusiastically was overwhelming. It instantly became a larger thing than I initially anticipated,” he said.

Already, two members of MTAP — Amy Claussen and James Rushin, who met at the first meeting — have started working on a musical.

Claussen, the assistant to the artistic director and company manager of City Theatre, MTAP’s host, attended the first meeting and pitched an idea for a musical based off her already developed play, “Off With Her Maidenhead.” The musical is set during the dissolution of the monasteries in 16th century England and comically represents a dark period in history.

Schark expanded the organization to directors and producers and plans to incorporate performers in the future. Schark hopes that MTAP will help local artists make connections and get their work produced.

MTAP’s first meeting on March 13 had approximately 15 attendees, who were each given the opportunity to present an idea for a project, song or scene in front of the group. No one there knew all of the other members, but everyone hoped he would be able to become more acquainted with those in the local industry. Though only half the amount of people who expressed interest in the group were able to attend, the presentations left no time to spare.

For MTAP’s second meeting, Schark plans to provide a similar atmosphere for newcomers. All attendees will have the chance to pitch their ideas again.

As for the third meeting, which does not have a set date, Schark hopes to hold a casting call for local performers. This would be an opportunity for actors to audition for a large group of composers and writers, giving both parties a potentially valuable resource for future projects.

A key aspect to Claussen’s idea was the use of commonly known Disney characters and songs. Throughout the musical, pieces of traditional Disney music work their way into the plot as a parody.

Rushin, a 2010 West Virginia University graduate, had worked on a set of Disney parodies before, so the two felt an instant affinity. Claussen and Rushin have already written three songs for the musical.

“It made me feel more secure in my career choice, that there are others who really want to push for something new, and push for something with political and social meaning,” Rushin said.

“I never would have met him without this organization. It’s wonderful to meet someone in their 20s who latched onto the idea,” Claussen said.

Schark hopes MTAP’s influence can assist more young artists in the Pittsburgh area and will facilitate more musicals in the future. There is no age limit to MTAP, so college students with an interest in musical theatre have the opportunity to join.

“It’s a vehicle for highlighting local talent, something where people can come together physically as a community,” Schark said.