Men’s basketball: Skerry introduced as Towson head coach

By Alex Oltmanns

Former Pitt men’s basketball assistant coach Pat Skerry was officially introduced as the new… Former Pitt men’s basketball assistant coach Pat Skerry was officially introduced as the new head coach at Towson University yesterday.

And while Skerry will be missed on the Panther’s bench next season, Pitt head coach Jamie Dixon is excited to see what Skerry can do at Towson.

“I’ve had numerous conversations with Towson Athletic Director Mike Waddell regarding Pat Skerry and the job at Towson,” Dixon said.

“During our conversations over the last few weeks, I’ve expressed how valuable Pat has been for our program and how good of a coach he’s going to be,” he said.

Skerry will join Towson after one year at Pitt, and looks forward to turning around a program that finished last in the Colonial Athletic Association this past season with a 4-26 record.

Skerry is optimistic about the situation he’s heading into.

“Our Tigers will represent Towson with class and dignity and show an unparalleled work ethic both on and off the court,” Skerry said in a news conference Tuesday.

Although he was only at Pitt for one season, in that time Skerry assisted in leading Pitt to a Big East regular season championship and also helped the Panthers land the highly touted high school McDonald’s All-American forward Khem Birch.

“In one short year at Pitt, he made a tremendous impact,” Dixon said. “We are happy and excited for Pat and his family, and we are sure that he will do a great job at Towson.”