Pitt to provide additional preschool option through Boys & Girls Clubs partnership

Clare Sheedy | Senior Staff Photographer

Pitt announced Monday that it’s partnering with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Western Pennsylvania in order to provide preschool-aged children of Pitt faculty, staff and graduate students an opportunity to enroll in the Great Futures Preschool program at BGCWPA’s Carnegie or Estelle S. Campbell Lawrenceville clubhouses.

By Natalie Frank, News Editor

The Great Futures Preschool program at the clubhouses provides “high quality early childhood programs/child care for children ranging from three through five years of age,” according to the announcement. Both clubhouses have a 10:1 child-to-teacher ratio, a mixed-age classroom for up to 20 children of Pitt employees and grad students and comes at a weekly tuition rate of $200.

“BGCWPA’s Great Futures Preschool program works to support children to grow to their fullest potential in all areas of development, thus creating a positive self-concept and a realistic opportunity for success in life,” the announcement said. “Teachers work with children individually and in small groups, identifying their strengths and helping children to identify positively with each of their individual differences.”

Besides offering COVID-19 child care resources through its Office of Human Resources, Pitt currently offers child care for infant to preschool-aged children of faculty, staff and students through its University Child Development Center, which exists to “encourage and support each child to grow to his/her fullest potential in all areas of development, thus creating a positive self-concept and a realistic opportunity for success in life,” according to the UCDC website.

Parents are able to enroll their child or children in the program, but there is currently a waitlist for both part-time and full-time child care. Rebecca Roadman — chief of staff to David DeJong, senior vice chancellor for Business and Operations, said the new partnership is partially a response to this increase in demand for child care and invites those currently on the waitlist to explore this opportunity.

“The demand for care at UCDC continues to exceed capacity,” Roadman said. “This partnership with BGCWPA is one of several exciting initiatives intended to support our University faculty, staff, and students who are parents. Eligible families on the UCDC waitlist have been invited to take advantage of this new opportunity with BGCWPA.”

Robin Kear, president of Senate Council, said she’s excited about the new partnership between Pitt and BGCWPA. Kear said the partnership can expand as more employees and grad students seek child care opportunities.

“This is another option for Pitt parents and if this is successful and the spots are used, my understanding is that there is potential for the partnership to grow,” Kear said. “I believe a robust, diverse portfolio of options for dependent care should be available and this partnership helps to provide one more possibility.”

With the demand for child care continuing to increase for children of employees and grad students at Pitt, Roadman said she also hopes Pitt can continue to develop child care options in future. 

“We are delighted to launch this partnership with BGCWPA, and we hope to build upon it in the future,” Roadman said. “We are eager to see high enrollment in the program this fall, which will inform our plans for the future.”