Gymnastics: Two Panthers compete at NCAA Regionals

By Lauren Kirschman

Pitt gymnasts Alyssa Adrian and Molly Moyer competed in the NCAA Regional Championship at the… Pitt gymnasts Alyssa Adrian and Molly Moyer competed in the NCAA Regional Championship at the University of Michigan on Saturday.

Being selected for the tournament shows that Adrian and Moyer are among the region’s best individual gymnasts. Each year, the NCAA sends qualifying teams, five all-around competitors on non-qualifying teams and one gymnast for each of the four  events to compete as specialists in the tournament.

Adrian and Moyer were both selected as event specialists for the Ann Arbor regional.

It was the second NCAA Regional for Moyer, a senior. Competing on the vault, Moyer put up a 9.7 score out of 10 to finish in 35th place out of 42 competitors. Joanna Sampson from Michigan took first with a score of 9.9.

As a freshman in 2008, Moyer competed in the regional on the floor.

This year, she came in 24th on the vault at the East Atlantic Gymnastics League Championships with a score of 9.750. Moyer finished with a 9.691 season average and set a career-high 9.850 score on the vault.

Competing in her first NCAA Regional Championship, Adrian scored a 9.6 on the uneven bars to finish in 31st place out of 42. Another Michigan athlete, Jordan Sexton, finished first with a score of 9.9.

Earlier this season, Adrian earned All-EAGL second-team honors after scoring a 9.525 at the EAGL Championships.

The top two teams, Michigan and Kent State, and all-around competitors at the NCAA Regional Championship advanced to the National Championships in Cleveland, Ohio.

As a team, the Panthers wrapped up their season with a seventh place finish on March 19 at the EAGL Championships.

Prior to the EAGL Championships, three athletes earned All-EAGL first or second-team honors. Adrian represented on the second-team, while Alicia Talucci and Lisa Taylor were both selected for the first-team on balance beam.

Talucci, a junior, has earned first-team honors on the beam for three consecutive years. Adrian and Taylor both earned an All-EAGL selection for the first time.