Christensen: Needles and ink — Making the most of your skin

By Caitlyn Christensen

On one of the few sunny days Pittsburgh managed to muster last week, my roommate and I trekked… On one of the few sunny days Pittsburgh managed to muster last week, my roommate and I trekked out to Shadyside for her first tattoo.

In the past, the college crowd didn’t really indulge in tattoos, but as many of you already know, they are growing ever more popular in all kinds of social circles. They aren’t just a hipster thing, either. But no matter the social context, I don’t think tattoos are something to be taken lightly. As far as I can tell, a lot of people toy with the idea but hesitate to go all the way with it, or they get something spontaneously, on a lazy afternoon. If you’re considering a tattoo, here are a few tips:

First, make sure it’s something that you really want. Don’t get it for the novelty, because eventually it will stop being new. If the design is good, it will always look appealing — but don’t do it just to get attention. Buy a new shirt or something. By no means should you do it to boost your self-confidence, either; again, if you’re bored with your appearance, go shopping or get a haircut. A good rule of thumb is to wait six months from the time you come up with the design to when you make the appointment. If you’re having doubts about it after six months, don’t go through with it. It’s not worth spending the rest of your life second-guessing a decision.

Make it unique, meaningful or at least aesthetically appealing. A tattoo says a lot about you. A tribal sleeve tattoo, for instance, implies that we probably wouldn’t get along that well. Getting the word “Fancy” tattooed in cursive script on your forearm probably makes you anything but. I do believe that a person should be judged by the content of her character and not her appearance, but a tattoo manages to meld a little bit of both those aspects of a person for the public eye to scrutinize. Think it out, and be practical — unless you want your tattoo to say that you aren’t. In which case go all out, Mike Tyson-style.

If you’ve thought about it, settled on a design you’ll like forever — or at least that will remind you of a time you thought you would like it forever — and made it to the tattoo parlor at last, there are a few more things you need to know. First of all, don’t freak out. Anyone who’s been in a shop knows that the sound of that high-pitched needle in the background sends out primal chills that make you want to flee. The important thing to remember is how long you’ve wanted the tattoo and how excited you were to get it — and how good you’ll feel about it once the needle’s out of earshot.

Be assertive, but listen to the tattoo artist. A good artist will be able to tell you whether she thinks the tattoo needs to be enlarged to show off some of the nuances of the design, for instance. However, don’t be afraid to speak up if you think it’s too large or if you see something in the design that you don’t like. A redesign might be a little inconvenient, but it’s more inconvenient to have a messed-up reminder for the rest of your life. And when it comes to placing the tattoo, take time to ensure that it’s exactly where you want it. Now is not really the time to be accommodating. You can always make up for your neediness and indecision with a nice tip.

Once you’re shaved, stenciled and greased-up with Vaseline, try and relax. Pain varies depending on personal tolerance and the body part you’re getting tatted up, but as far as I can tell, the needle isn’t a torture device. Experience says that it produces a dull discomfort — not enjoyable, but not screams-of-agony status. Focus. Don’t, for instance, let your friend make you laugh. If you do twitch, don’t panic — a good artist will be able to thicken up a slightly wobbly line so you aren’t off-kilter.

Once all is said and done comes the most important step of all: Take care of your tattoo. Don’t ignore the artist’s instructions. Treat it well. You didn’t pay all of that money for a jacked-up piece of body art, and if a tattoo is damaged because of negligence, touch-ups won’t be free. So bring on the unscented vitamin E-enriched lotion and apply that stuff at least twice a day, or whenever the spot is itchy.

I think when treated well, tattoos can be really beautiful — a way to celebrate your young, healthy body while it still looks that way. It’s a matter of preference, but I’d say the best way to start off on your tattooing adventure is to get one that’s in a hidden or slightly hidden spot. No matter where you end up getting it, it will be weird at first — you might even forget you have one until you look in the mirror. As long as you were confident and thoughtful — what the hey, even if you were impulsive — chances are your tattoo will bring you delight for years to come (if not the rest of your life). And it might make you feel just a little bit tough, too.