Pitt falls out of AP top 25, comes in at No. 25 in first CFP rankings

Joy Cao | Senior Staff Photographer

Pitt Panther Davis Beville (17) takes off his helmet during the Pitt vs. UNH game in September at Heinz Field.

By Dalton Coppola, Assistant Sports Editor

Pitt came in at No. 25 in the College Football Playoff voting committee’s first poll of the season on Tuesday. The Associated Press did not rank Pitt in their weekly poll, released Sunday. The AP ranked Pitt at No. 17 entering last week, but fell out after its loss to Miami.

To qualify for the CFP, teams must be in the top four of the committee’s rankings. Before the loss to Miami, Pitt had nearly a one-in-four chance to qualify, according to ESPN’s Football Power Index ratings. But the Panthers’ odds have dipped to just 2.4% to qualify since the loss.

The CFP voting committee takes into account strength of schedule, conference championships, record and perceived talent when ranking each team. If Pitt wins its remaining games on its schedule, it will win the Coastal Division and have the opportunity to win the ACC. ESPN’s FPI gives Pitt a 28.3% chance to win out and a 43.2% chance to win the ACC.

The teams in the committee’s top four are — in order from one to four — Georgia, Alabama, Michigan State and Oregon. Two ACC foes are ahead of Pitt, with Wake Forest at No. 9 and NC State at No. 19.

The CFP committee will release a new poll weekly, with the final rankings coming out on Dec. 5.