Film’s screenplay needs an ‘Adjustment’

By Jennifer Hirsch

“The Adjustment Bureau”

Director: George… “The Adjustment Bureau”

Director: George Nolfi

Starring: Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, John Slattery

Universal Pictures

Grade: C

A little more than a decade ago, Matt Damon took to the screen as the eponymous main characters of “Good Will Hunting” and “The Talented Mr. Ripley.” Despite being a relative newcomer, he wooed audiences with his boyish good looks and quirky innocence.

He has since become a household name after alternating between starring roles in the Jason Bourne trilogy and supporting roles in the “Ocean’s Eleven” franchise. It would seem, at least from his proven track record, that his upcoming film “The Adjustment Bureau” would be a hit. Sadly, however, it disappoints.

In the film based on a Philip K. Dick short story, Matt Damon stars as David Norris, a young U.S. congressman poised to become the next John F. Kennedy. En route to political success, he becomes romantically involved with Emily Blunt’s character, Elise Sallas, but mysterious outside forces continue to keep them apart. Soon, Norris discovers that an “adjustment bureau” — headed by John Slattery of “Mad Men” fame — controls the fate of the world based on a predestined plan.

Damon’s character strangely does not question the new circumstances of his life. After being exposed to startling information on par with the notion of “Inception,” one would expect the main character to go through periods of denial and anger. But Damon’s character acclimates to his new worldview without a fight.

The chemistry between Blunt and Damon is believable enough, but becomes nullified by the absurdity of their situation and their nonchalant acceptance of it — they would be better suited as a happy couple in another setting that didn’t place the fate of humankind on their shoulders. Blunt is at least convincing as a modern dancer, if not the young ingenue dragged into a life-changing situation.

Fans of the AMC series “Mad Men” might enjoy the film simply because John Slattery’s character — Damon’s ever-present antagonist — is strikingly similar to his role on the show. From his ’60s-style hat and trenchcoat to his stern yet sly disposition, it might as well be Roger Sterling chasing Damon across Manhattan.

“The Adjustment Bureau” is a departure from Damon’s otherwise discerning choice of roles. The premise of the film is altogether unbelievable and further undermined by writing that doesn’t test the skills of its main actors.

A good film, in my opinion, makes audiences reflect on their own lives based on the struggles of the main characters. This film, however, is self-contained to the point that when my friend and I went out to dinner immediately after seeing it, the movie didn’t come up in conversation once.