Student art exhibit explores love’s omnipresence

By Sierra Starks

Against/Throughout/Within

Now through Feb. 18

Conney M. Kimbo Art Gallery

William… Against/Throughout/Within

Now through Feb. 18

Conney M. Kimbo Art Gallery

William Pitt Union, main floor

One Pitt student is on a mission to prove that love is everywhere, if only you look.

With iPods, Zunes and other mP3 players blasting in our ears, cell phones firmly attached to our hands and other matters on our minds, junior Jordan Streussnig believes distractions are keeping students from truly seeing the world around them.

Last winter, in the span of a few days, Streussnig stumbled upon two different illustrations of love: an old receipt and a few fallen leaves, both in the shape of a heart.

In reaction to the strange coincidence, Streussnig decided that from that day onward she would carry her camera with her when she left the house.

“I just wanted to just see what I could find,” she said. “It was incredible to see what happened when I began to pay more attention to my surroundings.”

Walking to class on weekdays, Streussnig soon noticed a pattern: Most of the photos in her collection were in the shape of a heart.

“I have a ton of them from all different kinds of things,” she said, adding that the artwork ranges from natural to artificial findings — from a patch of snow to a vacuum cleaner cord.

She decided to share her discovery with those who could appreciate it most — other Pitt students who, like her, were too distracted to notice such things on their own.

Streussnig called Alana Miller, Pitt Program Council’s arts and film director, whose job is to gather student talent to showcase in the Kimbo Art Gallery, located in the William Pitt Union.

Miller is a firm believer in allowing others to recognize the talent and ability of Pitt students. Together, she and Streussnig decided that February was the best time to present Streussnig’s collection of hearts.

In her artist statement, Streussnig said that she created the exhibit “as a metaphor for the ubiquitous nature of what is probably the most resonating daily phenomenon — love.”

Streussnig said she hopes that the exhibit encourages her peers to be more present in their daily routines, to notice the world around them.

“Sometimes, the everyday miracles you come across can inspire you and change your outlook,” she said.

When asked if she believed in what Streussnig was trying to accomplish with this particular display, Miller noted, “I think that even if you don’t believe [in the message Streussnig is trying to convey], the exhibit can sway you to believe that anywhere you look, you can see love.”

To people who know Streussnig, this mentality seems in line with her personality. Betty Reese, who helped Streussnig organize her first exhibit in 2008 in Greensburg, Pa., said the student struck her as “just a really sweet little girl.”

Her first exhibit was titled, “This is How I See It,” and featured a variety of charcoal drawings and paintings — many of them abstracted pieces about personal feelings.

As Streussnig was just starting out, Reese said, “I had to show her a lot of framing methods.”

However, the then-high school senior proved to be an industrious learner.

“She really put herself to it in a big way,” Reese said. “She was using her imagination, she wasn’t just copying things.”

Now Miller said Streussnig’s imaginative qualities are pronounced.

“I thought it was a very interesting idea, very creative and clever,” Miller said of Streussnig’s current collection. “She put a lot of thought and effort into it, and I think it’ll be something worthwhile for Pitt students to see,” she said.

Miller admits that she, too, is guilty of texting while walking and tuning the world out with the music from her headphones. She also said that she doesn’t believe that other students think they are necessarily “missing out on anything [by distracting themselves in their walk to class],” but this is because they haven’t realized the full potential of paying more attention.

“If they were to look harder,” Miller said of her peers, “they would find much more than when they’re distracted. They could see the beauty of everyday life.”

In keeping with that effortlessness, Streussnig wants to stress that she didn’t manipulate any of the pieces in her collection. “I really wanted to stay true to the images as they were,” she said. “If I saw something that looked like it could be in the shape of a heart if I moved it, I wouldn’t take a picture of it,” she said, adding that it gave the pictures more power and presence.

“I also don’t want people to think this exhibit is all about romantic love,” Streussnig noted. “It’s about love in general. It’s everywhere and it’s available for everyone.”

Streussnig is dedicating this exhibit to her grandmother, Edna Streussnig, who passed away last year after a battle with multiple sclerosis.

“She was a really loving person and really inspired me in that way. This [exhibit] is to preserve her memory and message of kindness,” she said.

Editor’s Note: Jordan Streussnig is a staff writer at The Pitt News.