Weekend Watchlist | Comfort Food

By The Pitt News Staff

The Oscars announced the nominees more than a week ago, and while it’s good to showcase the best films and performances that really advance the craft, sometimes you get home after a three hour class with 200 pages of reading to do and you just want to turn off your brain. Put on those films and shows that may not be the best of the best, but always make us feel a little better when we watch them. Here’s The Pitt News Staff’s comfort picks!

Friends (HBO Max) // Khushi Rai, Staff Writer

Were they on a break? You can probably determine the answer to this while devouring a bag of Pirate’s Booty — arguably the best comfort snack. “Friends” has proven countless times to be the perfect show to watch when you simply do not want to use your brain. After having a long day of classes and your mind being completely mush, “Friends” provides the perfect escape.

From Rachel’s (Jennifer Anniston) jaw-dropping, gorgeous outfits — even when she’s wearing sweatpants — to Chandler’s (Matthew Perry) endless sarcastic remarks, “Friends” allows the viewer to actually feel as if they are watching their very own friends.

“Friends” follows a group of friends — obviously — living together in New York City. It showcases their lives together and allows the viewer to witness the eventual character development. In a way, this show perfectly mimics the lives of college students — young people living together, trying to figure out their place in the world. There could be nothing better than grabbing a snack and watching Monica battle her kitchen on a Friday night.

New Girl (Netflix) // Grace DeLallo, Assistant Opinions Editor

“New Girl” is a widely consumed comfort show — and there’s a reason for that. If your best friend was a show, they would be “New Girl.” Think of all the qualities you admire in your friends — their ability to make you feel better when you’re sad, crack corny jokes you have no option but to laugh at, call you on your nonsense and make you feel less alone — whether you need them or not, they’re there. This is the integrity of “New Girl” that makes the show so captivating.

The show’s warmth is infectious, and its ability to make you see the value of friendship showcases the best of life’s relationships. Who knew the interactions between school teacher Jess (Zooey Deschanel), model Cece (Hannah Simon), bartender Nick (Jake Johnson), marketer Schmidt, (Max Greenfield), gym teacher Coach (Damon Wayans Jr.) and radio host/cop/cat dad Winston (Lamorne Morris) would be so compelling? 

The only downside of the show is the emptiness you’ll be left with after the last episode plays. You’ve grown to know the characters and love their dynamics, so when that bond abruptly ends, it’s a bit tragic — but don’t let that deter you. All good things must end.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (HBO Max) // Sinéad McDevitt, Digital Manager

“The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” is “The Avengers” but for Victorian era characters you read about in high school English class. The film is based on Alan Moore’s comic of the same name, but definitely leans more into the campy side of Steampunk.

In the film, Alan Quartermain (Sean Connery) is recruited to stop a terrorist organization trying to plunge the world into war. Quatermain was the only character I didn’t know going into the film, and he’s from “King Solomon’s Mines,” an adventure novel from 1885. He teams up with Captain Nemo (Naseeruddin Shah) from “Ten Thousand Leagues Under the Sea,” Dr. Mina Harker (Peta Wilson) from “Dracula,” Rodney Skinner (Tony Curran) who is based on “The Invisible Man,” Dr. Henry Jekyll (Jason Flemyng) and Dorian Gray (Stuart Townsend). American secret agent Tom Sawyer (Shane West) joins up with them, and the group goes on a cross-country journey to stop the mysterious Fantom.

After that the film’s plot defies explanation, but rest assured that the ensuing fight scenes and setpieces are a joy to watch, and you will definitely want to bust out the popcorn and give it a watch.