Offbeat | Seven no-skip albums for your playlist

Offbeat is a bi-weekly blog offering new and meaningful takes on all things media.

By Jillian Rowan, Staff Writer

It’s pretty hard to find a no-skip album. Regardless of the sheer volume of music in circulation these days, finding a single collection of songs you love is hard work. So, when I catch an album that doesn’t miss, I’ll have it on constant replay. Spanning alternative, hip-hop/rap, electronic, R&B and soul, here are seven of my favorite no-skip albums. 

1. So Long ForeverPalace

This equal parts bluesy and ethereal tape will always stay in my playlist. The alternative album, released in 2016, has aged beautifully. Songs like “Bitter,” “Holy Smoke” and album-titled hit “So Long Forever” helped launch British indie-rock band Palace to fame. Palace has mastered its sound and character — every song is an individual experience within a cohesive journey.

1. DRIP SEASON 4EVERGunna

The final installment of his Drip Season franchise, “DS4EVER” is a bad-ass compilation of dirty flows and A-class production. Gunna adds some vulnerability to his third studio album, with slower and more sentimental beats like “die alone” and “you & me.” I’m a fan of “private island,” “how you did that,” “south to west” and “so far ahead > empire.” With verses from Young Thug, Future, Lil Baby, Kodak Black and Drake, this album is both a testament to hip-hop and an amalgamation of the best rappers in the game.

1. AbsolutelyDijon

Dijon’s striking debut album is an R&B/soul masterpiece. With a crooning voice and knack for storytelling, the Baltimore-native musician’s artistry ranks with that of Frank Ocean. I love the “unfinished” aspect of this album — its inclusion of outside noise, side chatter and ambient interludes all counter what a conventional music album “should be.” Dijon sings with his soul, empathetically relaying love, heartbreak and stories untold through his music. “Absolutely” captured a beautiful snapshot in time — tracks like “Many Times,” “The Dress” and “God in Wilson” serve as testaments to such.

1. What Could Possibly Go WrongDominic Fike

New-age rock star Dominic Fike has got it. Songs like “Double Negative,” “Why,” “Vampire,” “Politics and Violence” and “Chicken Tenders” compliment Fike’s debut album’s colorful and nostalgic tones. Fike’s billowing singing dances with his Brockhampton-esque rap vocals, showcasing his versatility as a young artist. This album hosts the indie ballads that I never skip and are complicit in shaping my late teen years.

1. PresencePetit Biscuit

This 14-track collection of smooth synths is a perfect assemblage of French native Petit Biscuit’s electronic artistry. The 2017 debut release feels like a celestial experience, with songs like “Gravitation,” “Beam,” “Wake Up,” “Forever Being” and “The End.” With the influence of electronic groove masters like Odesza, Flume and Bonobo, Petit Biscuit affirms his position amongst the greats as an enigmatic producer and EDM powerhouse. From the first track to the last, it’s reflective, euphoric and brilliant.

1. Hypersonic Missiles Sam Fender

This album isn’t perfect, which is precisely the reason I love it. The self-deprecatory, melancholy and rocky nature of “Hypersonic Missiles” makes it an indie-rock singer-songwriter staple of mine. Fender belts out introspective and emotional tunes that detail exceedingly heavy topics like racism, suicide, family turmoil and small-town frustrations, especially on tracks like “White Privilege,” “The Borders,” “Leave Fast” and “Dead Boys.” This album is a hit just as much as it hurts.

1. Mt. JoyMt. Joy

It wouldn’t be one of my blog posts if I didn’t talk about Mt. Joy, would it? The self-titled album of alt-rock anthems is all about gratitude, overcoming obstacles, youthful nostalgia and holding your loved ones close, as exemplified through breathy ballads like “I’m Your Wreck,” “Silver Lining,” “Cardinal” and “Younger Days.” I don’t think I’ve ever pressed skip on this beautiful tape.

Jillian writes about a range of media topics. You can reach her at [email protected].