Adele reaches songwriting maturity in new LP

By Natalie Bell

21

Adele

XL Recordings/Columbia

Rocks like: Duffy, Kate… 21

Adele

XL Recordings/Columbia

Rocks like: Duffy, Kate Nash

B+

21, Adele’s follow-up to her debut release 19, showcases some welcome changes in the singer-songwriter: She’s sultry, sassy and just a bit wiser. In 19, she asked her first lover for forgiveness; on this CD, she’s crooning to a few more ex-lovers with the maturity of experience on her side.

The album demonstrates  musical as well as personal growth, utilizing more instruments and conveying a more polished sound.

The songstress’ soulful pipes, reminiscent of a bygone era, push powerfully through songs like “Turning Tables.” Over pianos and strings, she bids adieu to a lover saying, “I won’t let you close enough to hurt me / No, I won’t ask you, you to just desert me.” The power of her voice over the long, expressive string notes and repetitive piano makes for an affecting ballad.

Conversely, her cover of The Cure’s “Lovesong” is slow and sensual. The acoustic guitars pluck dreamily as she sings, “Whenever I’m alone with you / You make me feel like I am whole again / Whenever I’m alone with you / You make me feel like I am young again.” It seems appropriate for the diva to sing such a bittersweet tune — despite being only 22, her voice and style convey a sort of love-jilted, old-soul persona.

In a time when pop stars often come packaged and electronically altered, it’s refreshing to know someone like Adele is still capable of conveying uncompromising force and emotion.