Wagner says farewell to four influential musicians

By Patrick Wagner

Many people worldwide have been impacted by the untimely loss of individuals like John Lennon,… Many people worldwide have been impacted by the untimely loss of individuals like John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix and Joe Strummer in years past, but when the loss isn’t a former Beatle, guitar god or punk rock warlord, such tragedies might seem to get lost in the musical space where sound turns to echo.

With every passing year, the sad reality of the music (or any) industry is that people important in the field die. This past year, four important musicians — Ronnie James Dio, Jay Reatard, Malcolm McLaren and Captain Beefheart — passed into rock ‘n’ roll heaven. I’d be a fool of a music lover if I didn’t recognize them — among countless others — as integral to our shared musical landscape.

The world of heavy metal lost the charismatic frontman/singer/lyricist Ronnie James Dio in May 2010, but his legacy is cemented in the cracks of heavy music everywhere. Playing in a series of successful bands — including Dio, Rainbow (with Deep Purple’s Ritchie Blackmore) and two incarnations of Black Sabbath — he proved his voice to be as important to metal’s history as Ozzy Osbourne’s blues-based moan and Rob Halford’s penetrating growl.

Beyond what he did with his music, he often threw his index and pinky fingers up in the air, popularizing the “devil horns” you see at every concert from Bring Me The Horizon to the decidedly un-metal Miley Cyrus.

A sad, early loss for the world of independent music came last January with the death of Jay Reatard, someone who was truly a visionary in punk rock. In a genre where there’s an earned reputation for redundant musical direction, Reatard was a singer and guitarist who played and wrote music that was original and poppy as hell to boot. His whine was just as evocative as that of any other angry kid who didn’t fit in, and from his early musical endeavors with The Reatards through his 2009 solo album Watch Me Fall, he imbued his music with truth.

In April, a formative figure in alternative music named Malcolm McLaren died. Manager of the Sex Pistols, Bow Wow Wow and, for a short time, the New York Dolls, he was central in the early UK-punk movement. He was also integral in instigating a recurring controversy in punk rock expressed in a phrase popularized by the savvy businessman: “Cash through Chaos.” This was the idea that one could exploit controversy, as with the Sex Pistol’s music, for money.  McClaren was one of the first to try to make serious money off of the seemingly nihilist genre.

Beyond these contributions to guitar-based music, McLaren helped popularize hip-hop in the United Kingdom with the release of his single “Buffalo Gals,” which was also a minor hit in the United States. McLaren was always a controversial for supposedly ripping off bands and trying to wield power with an iron fist, but he was always a notable figure. Particularly as a manager, his contributions were up there with the Beatles’ Brian Epstein and The Rolling Stones’ Andrew Loog Oldham.

Just in the past month, Captin Beefheart, one of Frank Zappa’s childhood friends who made his own substantial mark in music, passed away. Legally Don Van Vliet, the musician had lived away from public life for the past 30 years. But the avant-garde and often psychedelic blues he played with his Magic Band continued to influence countless rockers from the current darlings of the indie scene to the previously mentioned punk rock patriarch, Strummer.

In classics like Trout Mask Replica and his debut, Safe as Milk, Beefheart embodied the frenzied power that music can develop when you don’t approach it from a conventional direction. He deconstructed blues in a way that both respected the form’s integrity and allowed it to absorb the diverse styles of the late 1960s. The track “Safe as Milk,” for example — considered one of Beefheart’s more “conventional” works — features two slide guitars and a rhythm more hypnotic than the free-associative warble coming from Beefheart’s lips. “I may be hungry but I sure ain’t weird,” he moans on the track while dissociative taps are heard in the background.

Each of these people, along with countless others, contributed greatly to our modern forms of heavy metal, punk rock, hip-hop and urban blues. It makes me sad that these musicians are no longer with us, but I am happy that they lived in our time and will continue to live through headphones for time to come.