Students address bus changes

By Philip Bombara

Most Pitt students interviewed yesterday said they did not know the specifics of the Port… Most Pitt students interviewed yesterday said they did not know the specifics of the Port Authority’s decision to cut some bus services in March but several expressed disappointment in the idea.

Junior Megan Neuf said she uses the 71D to get to and from work, adding that she already has trouble getting a bus and is concerned about how much more difficult it will become when the cuts take effect starting March 27.

“Even now it seems like there has been a reduction in service,” Neuf said. “It is really hard to get a bus headed into town during rush hour and some of the scheduled buses almost never come as it is.”

Max Pless, also a junior, also expressed concern about the changes. Pless used the buses frequently last year and remembered that even when the 71A was running on schedule it was often very crowded. “I hope they find funding. Public transportation is an amazing resource for both students and the community,” Pless said.

Other students and commuters repeated Pless’ concerns throughout the afternoon, calling on the state legislature and local government to preserve funding for the Port Authority.

The scheduled cuts come after outgoing Gov. Ed Rendell redirected $45 million into the ailing transit system, effectively giving the Port Authority and the state and local governments 18 months to find additional funding. Port Authority board members said that without more funding, public transportation in Pittsburgh could be cut by between 35 and 50 percent.