Football: Graham announces assistant coaches

By Alex Oltmanns

Newly hired head football coach Todd Graham has wasted no time filling out his coaching staff,… Newly hired head football coach Todd Graham has wasted no time filling out his coaching staff, officially announcing selections for eight of nine assistant coaching spots Tuesday.

Paul Randolph, Calvin McGee, Mike Norvell, Keith Patterson and Tony Gibson — five assistants who were introduced at Graham’s press conference last weeks — had their positions formally announced, and several others were named to new positions as well.

“I make it a priority to hire people who will make me a better coach and professional through my work with them,” Graham, a former Tulsa head coach, said in a news release.

The new coaches as of Tuesday are Tony Dews, who will be the tight ends coach; Tony Dodge, quarterbacks coach; and Spencer Leftwich, offensive line coach.

Shawn Griswold will work as the director of strength and conditioning for the team.

Dews spent the last three seasons as Michigan’s wide receivers coach after holding the same position at West Virginia in 2007.

Dodge most recently served as the head coach of the University of North Texas for the past three seasons.

Before that he served as the head coach of Texas’ Southlake Carroll High where he was known as one of the best high school coaches in the country. The Dallas Morning News dubbed him a “high school coaching legend.”

Leftwich comes to Pitt with experience coaching offensive lines, working at Tulsa in two separate tenures and at North Texas.

Griswold worked as Tulsa’s director of strength and conditioning from 2004-10.

“I am incredibly pleased with the staff we have hired thus far,” Graham said. “Not only are they excellent football coaches, but they’re also tremendous men who are honored to be part of the University of Pittsburgh.”

Randolph will serve as the executive associate head coach, co-defensive coordinator and defensive line coach.

McGee will be the assistant head coach, co-offensive coordinator and running backs coach.

Norvell will work as the co-offensive coordinator, wide receivers coach and director of recruiting while Gibson will coach the cornerbacks and serve as the recruiting coordinator.

Patterson will be the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach.