Instead of dropping weight, Girmai resolves to lose the Uggs

By Bethie Girmai

The holiday season is also a season of lists: shopping, Santa’s naughty and nice, etc. But now… The holiday season is also a season of lists: shopping, Santa’s naughty and nice, etc. But now that those lists have been checked through, it’s time to start making the most daunting of all: the New Year’s resolutions.

In past years, I’ve resolved to lose 10 pounds, give up swearing and abstain from spending all my Christmas money on New Year’s Day sales, all unsuccessfully. Someday, I might actually get to the gym and read a book on etiquette, but there’s really no hope for my credit cards.

So this New Year’s, I’ve decided to declare my style resolutions and I’m inviting you to do the same. The dawn of a new year is as perfect a time as any to revamp your wardrobe. If you follow my simple resolutions, you’ll have some new style to go with the new year.

1. Resolve to reinvent tired trends.

There are some trends that just refuse to go away. But just because a trend is past its peak, it doesn’t necessarily mean it was bad, it’s just run its course.

Case in point? Ugg boots. Personally, I own three different pairs. But I have resolved to refrain from wearing them in public places, and I have several reasons why. Technically, they’re not even appropriate for inclement weather as snow melts through the boots and leaves your feet to freeze, and the street salt ruins them. Also, they look like two loaves of bread on your feet. Sorry, Uggs are officially blacklisted in my wardrobe.

Riding and motorcycle boots are so in this season and generally are every season. They’re great alternatives to Uggs because they’re not a trend; therefore, they will never go out of style.

Fringe boots are also leaps and bounds more fashionable than Uggs. They’ll keep you warm, while adding an eccentric and innovative quality to your style.

2. Resolve to take fashion risks.

Don’t be afraid to play around with your style this New Year. I’m not suggesting you don a meat dress, compliments of Lady Gaga, circa the 2010 VMAs. But don’t hesitate to step outside of the proverbial fashion box. Explore a new trend or try something you never thought your personal style could pull off.

For example, turbans are popping up all over the streets and runways these days. They’re great for accessorizing a casual outfit or complementing a dressy one. Turbans are versatile and made in several different styles, so it’s easy to find a style that flatters your face shape.

Another chic trend is the snake and reptile jewelry and accessories that have been slithering all over the red carpets.

3. Resolve to dress up.

Yes, we’re college students. And, yes, we live in a city that constantly suffers from inclement weather. However, that’s absolutely no excuse to dress like a slob.

If you wear sweatpants to class, I’m talking to you. If you pair them with sneakers, you’re even worse off than I thought. And for you ladies who think heavy makeup will make me forget you’re wearing your 2001 basketball camp sweatpants, you are sorely mistaken.

Our time in college prepares us to enter the job market. Even though it might seem like college will never end, the “real world” is right around the corner. Therefore, we have to start dressing for the jobs we want, not the jobs we have.

Obviously, your weekly chem lab isn’t a black tie affair. So when you’re dressing for class, think casual and dress up your outfit with accessories. Nice jeans, a long-sleeved tee, paired with a scarf and riding boots will do just fine.

So now that I’ve made my list of style resolutions, it’s time that you make your own. Maybe you’re finally ready to let go of that ratty sweater you’ve had since sophomore year of high school. Maybe you’ll chop off the hair you’ve been growing for years because your style has surpassed it in maturity.

Either way, I encourage you to break out of your fashion comfort zone in the New Year. I promise, you’ll be pleased with the results. So until next year, remember, you can never be too rich, groomed or fashionable — I think that’s how the saying goes.