Broken Records crafts cohesive CD

By Anna Weldon

Broken Records made a valid attempt to work its way into the indie rock spotlight with its newest release, Let Me Come Home. Broken Records

Let Me Come Home

Rocks Like: The National

Grade: A-

Broken Records made a valid attempt to work its way into the indie rock spotlight with its newest release, Let Me Come Home.

The six-piece band, formed in 2007, has made some serious ground. With two EPs, a handful of singles and a previous album already produced, this indie rock band from Edinburgh, Scotland, continues to prove its potential with Let Me Come Home, released yesterday.

The album is filled with Jamie Sutherland’s deep and soulful voice. The dark and heavy sound includes the expected guitars, bass and drums, as well as a piano and violin. Each song incorporates the instruments fully and in wonderfully synced collaboration.

Let Me Come Home has both fast and slow tempos that give the album a fair balance. Though the group’s sound is somewhat similar to other, better-known indie bands’ like The National’s, Broken Records has done a good job of highlighting its strengths — like varied instrumentation and the use of both male and female voices. The band has showcased its over-arching sound consistently throughout the album, making Let Me Come Home a cohesive work.

The album begins with “A Leaving Song” and ends with “Home,” taking the listener on a journey where the music all strings together well and ends on a solid note. Tracks such as “Dia dos Namarados!” contain a more romantic sound and soft appeal, whereas others like “Aliene” are more intense, accented by both guitar and violin.

Broken Records has proved it can produce a CD to hold its own and has potential for a successful future. The band starts its tour in the U.K. later this month and will hop the Atlantic for an American tour in February.