Football: Baldwin staying at Pitt, apologizes for comments

By Alex Oltmanns

Pitt junior wide receiver Jon Baldwin will remain a Panther for now.

A recent report by Chris… Pitt junior wide receiver Jon Baldwin will remain a Panther for now.

Baldwin refuted in a new release today a recent report by Chris Steuber of NFLDraftScout.com that quoted Baldwin as saying he would declare for this spring’s NFL Draft.

“Yesterday, I received a text message from a reporter at a time when I was very emotional,” Baldwin said referencing the resignation of head football coach Dave Wannstedt. “Because of everything that happened, I wasn’t using the best judgment and am very sorry about the things that were printed. I love my teammates and coaches at Pitt. I have not made a final decision on the NFL Draft. My only focus is on my commitment to my team and preparing to win our bowl game next month.”

Steuber and Baldwin recently exchanged text messages and Steuber asked, “Why would you stay [for your senior season] when you have no chemistry with QB Tino Sunseri, a new coach/system taking over next season and possibly hurt your draft stock for the 2012 draft.” Steuber reported that Baldwin clarified, “Oh, I misunderstood you … Heck yeah I’m leaving. It can only get worse. They had me running a lot of deep routes [this year] and yards were hard to come by. I barely ran intermediate routes; it felt like they were purposely trying to disrupt my draft stock.”

The Aliquippa, Pa., native was a first team All-Big East selection for the second straight season this year after recording 52 catches for 810 yards and five touchdowns.