Von Balthazar pulls off one-man band

By Sara Pecora

The idea of adding yet another one-man band to the world can cause most people to cringe, but Troy Von Balthazar actually manages to make it work. Troy Von Balthazar

How to Live on Nothing

Third Side Records

Rocks Like: Andrew Bird with a dash of Animal Collective

Grade: B

The idea of adding yet another one-man band to the world can cause most people to cringe, but Troy Von Balthazar actually manages to make it work.

Through looping and programming, Balthazar has created the perfect feel to go along with his quiet, lilting vocals.

Most of Balthazar’s songs have a faraway quality, an ethereal tone that makes you feel like you float when you’re listening to them. That’s not to say, however, that he doesn’t mix it up; tracks like “Happiness and Joy” and “Mt. Balthazar” have more of a standard indie-rock feel, while “Wings” has a folky tinge to it.

Almost all of the songs, however, seem to have a sadness underlying them; they feel bruised, defeated, like they’re the hipster equivalent to the Charlie Brown sad walking music. The only track I would say does not fit into this mold is “Santiago,” which has more of a vicious quality to it. Unlike its album compatriots, “Santiago” holds its head up high and punches anyone in its way with slamming drums and snarling guitars. Even Balthazar pulls out more of a rocking tone in his vocals, putting this track into my “favorite song of the album” slot.

Sometimes the experimental feel can get annoying: “S.,” for example, is a 29-second track that’s nothing but a woman speaking. It felt useless, and broke up my focus in the album. The lion roar in “CATT” has the same effect; I imagine it’s cool to fans of, say, Animal Collective, but for me it was the only programming in the album with which I was unhappy.

If you can look past some of the more irritating experimental swatches, then you have a pretty, dreamy album that lets you just sit back and relax while listening.