Editorial | What your top artist on Spotify Wrapped says about you

By The Pitt News Editorial Board

The most wonderful day of the year has arrived — and no, it’s not Christmas. It’s the annual Spotify Wrapped day. Wrapped compiles individual listening data from the year and displays it to share with others. For music lovers and general haters, it’s the best day of the year to judge people’s music taste — and we are going to do just that.

This is what your top artist on the 2022 Spotify Wrapped says about you.

1. Taylor Swift 

Taylor Swift was one of the most streamed artists of the year, so you are definitely not alone with this pick — many members of the TPN editorial board had her in the top spot as well. You are probably a die-hard Swiftie who definitely fought someone to get tickets to the Eras tour. That, or you went through a bad breakup this year. Either way, chin up for 2023!

1. Kanye West, Rex Orange County or any other artist whose problematic side made headlines this year

You probably didn’t post your Spotify Wrapped on your story because you were embarrassed to stan someone who turned out as an awful human being. Hopefully, you started listening to them before their controversies emerged, and let’s hope that next year you have someone better in your top artist spot.

1. Drake

21, can you do something for me? You enjoyed one of the seemingly never-ending amount of Drake albums that dropped this year. You didn’t mind when he pivoted to a different sound with “Honestly, Nevermind,” but you probably liked it better when he pivoted back to his corny bars with “Her Loss.” Just try not to request “Rich Flex” every time you go to the bar, please, for the rest of our sakes.

1. Harry Styles

You miss the days of One Direction and definitely rocked a feather boa at some point this year. You played “Harry’s House” on repeat for weeks and you definitely sobbed to “Matilda” — which we definitely don’t blame you for! Either that, or you became obsessed with the Harry and Olivia drama and watched “Don’t Worry Darling” a million times in theaters. 

1. Zach Bryan

Are you a sad cowboy? If so, Zach Bryan makes sense for your top artist of the year. Hopefully, you didn’t cry too much this year and were able to slip on the ol’ cowboy boots and hat and party on. 

1. Beyoncé

When “Renaissance” dropped, you were ready to tear it up on the dance floor. You had a great year full of fun and parties and “CUFF IT” was the soundtrack. You love the house music renaissance — pun absolutely intended — and can’t wait for Beyoncé to go on tour again. 

1. BTS

Hey there K-pop fan! You are probably a die-hard fan of the group and have a minimum of 20 posters of the members in your room. You probably have a very active fan account on Twitter and defend BTS whenever they are mentioned.

1. Glee Cast

You are stuck in 2007 or you saw Lea Michelle in Funny Girl — either way, seek help.

1. Kendrick Lamar

Mr. Morale & the Big Steppers” had you analyzing every lyric, sound and sample in a way that would make your English professors proud. Hopefully you got to see him and his cousin, Baby Keem, on tour and thought introspectively about your familial trauma.