Basketball Preview: Men’s team an example of versatility

By Isaac Saul

Versatility is a characteristic that might be valued more in basketball than any other… Versatility is a characteristic that might be valued more in basketball than any other sport.

A player who can make an impact at different spots on the floor is a precious commodity for a team striving toward greatness. Players who can extend themselves beyond what’s expected of them are tough to find.

A forward who can penetrate into the lane and shoot from 20 feet out; a guard who can play defense and lead the offense through its playbook; a big man who can rebound, pass and block shots; a shooter who can play the one, two or three spot — these are all things a coach prays for. For Pitt head coach Jamie Dixon, these prayers have been answered.

The Pittsburgh Panthers basketball team has more than one of these players, and their flexibility has not gone unnoticed. This fall, Brad Wanamaker was ranked among ESPN’s top 10 most versatile players in the country, and his coach agrees.

“He’s got point guard skills, he’s got good size for an off-guard and the plan is for him to stick in the two spot,” Dixon said. “But things can change, and he has the ability to play anywhere.”

And Dixon — who has tied an NCAA Division I record with 188 victories in his first seven seasons as head coach — is a reliable source for recognizing talent.

But the adaptability goes further than just Wanamaker.

Ashton Gibbs, Pitt’s starting point guard, has proven he can be an efficient scorer. Gibbs scored 15.7 points per game last year and did most of it in the clutch for Pitt. In fact, he was even named Lindy’s Nation’s No. 12 shooting guard and recognized as USA Today’s Big East Player of the Year — all while running the point for most of the season last year after being known more for playing shooting guard.

Just as the versatility extends beyond Wanamaker, it extends beyond the guards as well. In his media day press conference, Coach Dixon spoke a lot about the big men.

“I like the ability our big guys have — a few of them can play both the four and five spots,” Dixon said. “We have the five guys, Dante [Taylor], Gary [McGhee], J.J. [Richardson], Talib [Zanna] and Nasir [Robinson] really splitting those two spots.”

McGhee will be a big factor in Pitt’s success this year. Not only can McGhee be a big rebounding body, but he has also shown that he can successfully play defense.

“I’ve always counted on how great a defensive player he is for us,” Dixon said. “And I think he can be the best defensive player in the Big East. I really think he can be that guy for us.”

Last year, McGhee led the team with 6.8 rebounds per gam, and also had team highs in several categories including 59 blocked shots, 81 offensive rebounds and 149 defensive rebounds. This summer, McGhee has been making strides on the offensive side of the ball.

“He is getting better offensively,” Dixon said. “Do I think he’s going to score like (former Pitt centers) DeJuan [Blair] or Chris [Taft]? I don’t think he’s at that point right now, but he continues to work hard every day and he has improved.”

The Panthers have always prided themselves on their resourcefulness, and in years past it has helped them get through some tough spots. One major benefit of a having a flexible team is the ability to tinker with the lineup when injuries happen.

“Think of all the injuries we’ve had in the last couple years, and somehow we’ve been able to survive them,” Dixon said. “Usually that cripples a team, that cripples a program, but somehow we’ve been able to survive those things. Somehow you have to be ready.”

Dixon might have jinxed himself. Last week, news broke of Nasir Robinson’s knee injury, which could sideline him for anywhere from three to six weeks.

Robinson, who shows his utility by being a smaller power forward than almost all of his opponents at 6-foot-5, has traditionally played in the three or the four spot. The injury — a torn meniscus — required surgery and could keep him out for up to nine games.

Because of Pitt’s flexibility, you can expect Dixon to make moves with McGhee, Taylor, Richardson and Zanna to fill the void left by Robinson’s absence.

The X-factor in this mess of talent? Gilbert Brown.

Brown, who was suspended for academic reasons for the first part of last season and has had injury trouble in the past few years, is starting fresh this season. Brown is one of Pitt’s best offensive weapons.

A tremendous athlete with a strong build of 6-foot-6 and 215 pounds, Brown proved he can dominate around the rim last year.

With high-flying and acrobatic plays, Brown got a name for being a great forward. According to Dixon, this year Brown will spend most of his time on the wing.

Brown’s range of talent also gives him the ability to shake things up for Pitt.

As a whole, the team definitely has the ability to maneuver line-ups in order to match up with the teams its playing.

In the Big East, this is an ability that can put the Panthers ahead of the pack. In the toughest conference in the country, having the ability to weather the storm of injuries that are bound to come and the personnel to rotate matchups is a rare luxury.

With all the hype surrounding Wanamaker, Dixon’s success and the Panthers’ high preseason ranking, you could imagine the talk getting to the players’ heads. Yet, if you ask them, you can see they are taking it in stride.

“I think all of our expectations are high,” Brown said. “The goal is to exceed all those expectations that everyone puts out there for us and to do something special. No pressure at all.”