Editorial | Which Pitt News desks saw their shadow on Groundhog Day

Groundhog+Club+handler+A.J.+Dereume+holds+Punxsutawney+Phil%2C+the+weather+prognosticating+groundhog%2C+during+the+137th+celebration+of+Groundhog+Day+on+Gobblers+Knob+in+Punxsutawney%2C+Thursday%2C+Feb.+2%2C+2023.+

AP Photo, Barry Reeger

Groundhog Club handler A.J. Dereume holds Punxsutawney Phil, the weather prognosticating groundhog, during the 137th celebration of Groundhog Day on Gobbler’s Knob in Punxsutawney, Thursday, Feb. 2, 2023.

By The Pitt News Editorial Board

Pennsylvania’s most famous groundhog Punxsutawney Phil emerged from his little burrow on Thursday to determine whether we are stuck in the frigid Pittsburgh winter or can maybe see the sun soon. Unfortunately, the rodent saw his shadow, meaning we have six more weeks of winter.

This got us thinking, if The Pitt News desks were groundhogs — stay with us here, it’s a solid metaphor — which ones would see their shadow and which ones are ready for winter to end. If you’re as curious as we are, here are The Pitt News desks if they saw their shadow this Groundhog Day or not.

News

The news desk crawled out of their cave this morning after staying up until 3 a.m. covering some breaking news. Because we woke them up from their much needed slumber, the news desk saw their shadow. Maybe if we let them sleep some more they would have felt more like spring!

Opinions

This Groundhog Day, the opinions desk was unsure whether or not they were going to see their shadow. In typical opinions desk fashion, they were unsure what the true opinion actually is. In the end, half the desk saw their shadow and half did not — it’s nature’s point-counterpoint!

Sports

The sports desk, like the opinions desk, was torn. On one hand, the basketball team is doing really well and they want to keep the winter sports going. On the other hand, spring means baseball, softball and other spring sports. In the end, the sports desk did see their shadow, six more weeks of basketball!

Culture

The culture desk is ready for spring. Spring means more outdoor activities and of course Bigelow Bash — they are sick of these indoor events! The culture desk ran out of their burrow and may have seen their shadow but definitely looked the other way. Early spring for culture!

Visuals

The visuals desk emerged, hoping to not see their shadow and ready for an early spring. With cameras and pencils in hand, they scurried out. Then, they saw other photographers! This spooked the desk and they saw their shadow, six more weeks of winter from them!

Digital

The digital desk wasn’t sure what they were going to see. Between writing blogs and making podcasts, they’ve had their hands full this winter. The desk did emerge, preparing for any result that would be worthy of a roundtable podcast and saw their shadow. Time to record a new podcast!

Copy

The copy desk are perfectionists — they make sure every article we publish is in tip-top shape with no errors. This Groundhog Day, however, they did make an error. After staring at their computer screens, scouring for oxford commas, they came out of their burrow and saw their shadow. This is just payback for having too many AP style mistakes!

Multimedia

Similar to the visuals desk, the multimedia desk had their cameras prepared too. Between producing killer videos this winter, they were ready for slightly warmer weather and actual sunlight to film outside. Because of this, the multimedia desk did not see their shadow! 

Social Engagement

Posting on The Pitt News’ many social media platforms — P.S., you should totally follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram — the social engagement desk is ready to become the social butterflies they are. However, for butterflies to fly, they need to emerge out of their winter cocoons. Because of this, the social engagement desk did not see their shadow — they are ready for winter to end!

Despite The Pitt News groundhogs and their varying opinions on an early spring or six more weeks of winter, Mr. Punxsutawney Phil has determined that we will have to freeze for six more weeks. While you all suffer through the cold with us, you should stay inside and read The Pitt News!