Campus Life | Snack Places On Campus

Campus Life is a biweekly blog about the everyday things happening around Pitt’s campus.

By Shriya Yadamreddi, Staff Writer

Having back-to-back classes every day can sometimes give you no time to eat before or in between class. You may not be a breakfast person, but might have classes all morning from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. However, since you skipped breakfast, it’s possible that you’ll get hungry at some time during the day

I have classes all day Monday and Wednesday, and sometimes I have no time to eat in between because I am either studying or going to office hours for help. There are many places on campus where you can grab a quick bite to eat or get a coffee in between so that your stomach is not growling during class.

The two Starbucks locations on campus (Amos and Atwood) are often very busy during the day and can have you waiting for almost 30 minutes. However, there are many other coffee places on campus in various locations. So depending on which building your class is in, you can quickly go in and get whatever you would like. A super convenient and quick service place for coffee is Dunkin’ Donuts on Forbes Avenue. Whenever I go into Dunkin’, there is barely ever a line to order or wait for your food or coffee, and they are always fairly quick with orders. The location of Dunkin’ Donuts is also very convenient because it is right in the middle of most buildings and is very easy to access.

Another coffee place on campus that is very quick with their service is Saxbys. There are multiple locations on campus, which is very convenient as well. There is one in Hillman Library, one in the Cathedral of Learning and another at Forbes and Meyran Avenue in the Big Idea Center, which is a little further down. Saxbys is one of my favorite places to get coffee or another drink on campus because they have so many unique options to choose from, all very good. If you have any free time in between classes, you can sit down and complete some work.

If you are not in the mood for coffee or a quick drink and would rather get some food in between classes, there are also many places on campus that provide numerous options. The Cathedral has a few options in the basement for a quick bite to eat such as Pom & Honey, The Roost and Cathedral Sushi, which all are very quick to order and have seating around them so you can eat and do some work if needed. The William Pitt Union also has many restaurants in the basement to choose from, such as PA Taco Co., Ft. Pitt Subs, CrEATe, True Burger and Wicked Pie. There is also seating there for you to unwind and take a break from classes to eat and catch up on some homework if needed. Both of these buildings are located in the main part of campus, therefore making it very accessible to get to. So if you have classes in Cathy, all you need to do is head down to the basement for some food!

There are also many other options on Forbes Avenue, such as Roots, Hello Bistro, Chipotle, Piada and others. These food places may take a bit longer to order from and get your food because they are all relatively busy during the day. However, if you have a good amount of time, I would highly consider them!

It is crucial to make an effort to feed your body properly and consume the recommended amount of calories each day. Sometimes classes, doing homework and studying can get in the way of that, but it is very important to take time out of your day to take care of yourself. It is hard, but hopefully the places I have listed above have quick service so you are able to get some food or coffee in your system to take on the day!

Shriya writes about some of her favorite places on campus to quickly stop by and get a snack in between classes. Talk to them at [email protected].