Homecoming candidates tell platforms

By Ryan Shaughnessy

King:

Jamil Alhassan

Biology major, Chemistry minor

For my platform I plan to offer free… King:

Jamil Alhassan

Biology major, Chemistry minor

For my platform I plan to offer free SAT prep for a local Pittsburgh underserved highschool. Currently some Pittsburgh schools have extremely low test scores which I think is a major issue, especially since I have been granted an opportunity to attain such a great education.

Dan Balinski

Senior

Accounting and Finance

Campaign slogan: Put the BAL IN your court.

I came to Pitt from New Jersey on my own accord and knew that this is where I wanted to be. Even though I live 352 miles away I rep Pitt every day.

I am running for the MS Society.  Every year my family all participates in the MS Ride in New York City, and I can never participate because I am at school, so I will use this to help fundraise for it.

Matthew Balsbaugh

Senior

Environmental Studies and Psychology

Campaign slogan: “Vote for Bals, the Total Package”

This summer my grandfather was diagnosed with lymphoma, so I wanted to work with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Western Pennsylvania and West Virginia to get students involved in some of their events this year. Also, I’m running because I love Pitt. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, so I decided to stay at Pitt for an extra year because I love it here so much. This is just a small way I can show my Pitt pride and show how thankful I am for all the opportunities Pitt had provided .

Karthik Dwarki

Senior

Molecular Biology

Campaign slogan: “That Makes Sense” (It’s from that funny commercial with Ray Lewis and that awesome bear)

During my undergrad career I have tried to do my part to give back to the community that has done so much for me by following the Pitt Promise, a commitment to community and civility. By running for Homecoming King, I want to promote this “sharing the love” attitude to everyone on Pitt’s campus and try to get more people involved.

Alex Hinsey

Senior

General Management and Finance

Campaign slogan: “Fist Pump with Alex” (Jersey Shore Theme)

This year I chose to represent the Pitt club sports teams. Many times the club sports teams are overlooked at Pitt and many students don’t even know the teams exist. Ten percent of Pitt’s student population participate on a club sports team of some sort, which is a very large number. As president of the Men’s Volleyball Club I wanted to go out and try and bring awareness to the students that compete and represent Pitt so that they will gain some of the recognition that they deserve. I hope that many students here at Pitt will take the time to notice those athletes who work hard to represent Pitt and cheer them on in the future.

Kevin Kaney

Senior

Communication major, fitness minor.

Campaign slogan: “Vote for Lucky Number Kevin!”

Pitt pride; make a difference in my school and community; diverse interests and contributions in sports, community and school activities; social chairman of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, complete and well-balanced education, a leader and friend.

Dave Petrone

Senior

Chemical Engineering

Campaign slogan: Petrone for Throne

Continue trying to improve this campus

Dan Wolf

Senior

Biological Sciences/Business dual major, Latin American Studies Certificate

Campaign slogan: “He’s an animal!”

Running as an independent, without any fraternal support or monetary aid — just a Pitt student giving it his best shot. I support the fight against breast cancer, in honor of my mother.

Queen:

Moira Crumlish

Senior

Communication

Campaign slogan: “Vote MO FO Queen”

The University of Pittsburgh’s tremendous student body contains a variety of clubs and organizations that help in unifying our school. These clubs help promote research, health and numerous other charitable causes that give back to the community. I wanted to bring awareness to these self-motivated clubs that help bring our student bodies together and give everyone the opportunity to be involved and make a difference. The Panther Triathlon Club, Panther Cycling and the Pitt EMSSA are organizations that do just that. I wanted to bring attention to their clubs in hopes of expanding them. These clubs deserve recognition and are great contributions to our university as well as community.

Sarah Forsyth

Junior

History of Art & Architecture

Campaign slogan:  “What’s your persuAsian?”

I will strive to bring together this campus through philanthropic and social events. I would like to make my Teddy Bear Drive for the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation a campus-wide incentive to reach out to as many underprivileged children in the Pittsburgh community as we can.

Kate Marchetti

Senior

Political Science major, Economics minor

Slogan: Totally Kollege Kate “Do I really have to graduate? Or can I just stay here for the rest of my life?”

If you love college as much as Kate does, vote her as Pitt’s Homecoming Queen 2010.

I have been working with Make-A-Wish Foundation throughout my entire college career and am so happy to have the chance, through this campaign, to increase awareness and raise money for this wonderful organization.

Laura Paiewonsky

Senior

Communication Science and Disorders major, American Sign Language Certificate, Linguistics minor

Campaign slogan: “Seize the Day, Vote Laura Pay!”

My campaign is centered around the idea of Carpe diem, or seize the day. It could be interpreted in a number of different ways, but the basic premise is that everyone should make the most of what they’re doing. Focusing on the University of Pittsburgh, students should be getting involved in organizations that they’re interested in or volunteering for charities they believe in. Students should love the campus they live on and discover all there is to do in the neighborhoods that surround it.

Autumn Pividori

Senior

Communication and Political Science

Campaign slogan: “Fall for Autumn”

I have decided to use my candidacy as a means to shed light on a philanthropy that is very close to my heart. When I was 14, my best friend Jessica passed away from a rare form of cancer called Synovial cell sarcoma. In her honor, her parents created a foundation called the Jessica L. Kurnocik Charitable Foundation which focuses on providing financial assistance to those families whose children are undergoing pediatric cancer treatments and/or are terminally ill. It is actually only one of a few foundations in the area that specifically focus on pediatric cancers.

Annie Plunkett

Senior

Communication major, French minor

Campaign slogan: “Annie Get Your Crown”

My slogan is in reference to the musical “Annie Get Your Gun.”  You’d be surprised at how nothing rhymes with Annie, so we went the musical route.  Annie Get Your Gun is one of my nicknames, so it was pretty easy to decide on.  I was pretty content with people’s suggestions as long as it had nothing to do with Little Orphan Annie (not a fan).

Carey Szymczak

Senior

Rehabilitation Science

Campaign slogan: “Who needs a fairy when you have Carey to grant a wish?”

For my campaign, I have chosen to support the Make-A-Wish Foundation. As a strong believer in making wishes come true, I want to try and help grant one wish to a deserving child suffering from a life-threatening medical condition. Make-A-Wish is an organization that I hold near to my heart. One of my good friends growing up almost passed away when he was only 13 but battled his way and beat a disease that the medical books can still not define. When he was 16, I got to watch his Make-A-Wish wish come true, and it was one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced. His life is one of the reasons I am entering the health field and why I am so dedicated to help as many people as I can.

Lauren Zammerilla

Senior

Neuroscience major, Chemistry minor

Campaign slogan: “Oh Hot Zam! Vote Lauren Zammerilla for Homecoming Queen!”

My campaign angle is to focus on the QUALITY of the candidate. In past elections, the emphasis has been placed more on giveaways and force instead of choosing a true representative of our University.

I am a proud sister of Delta Delta Delta, and, through my campaign, will work to spread knowledge of our national philanthropy, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. St. Jude is a vital resource for children suffering from cancer, and I am humbled to help such an organization.