‘Hereafter’ ponders the afterlife, with mixed results

By Natalie Bell

“Hereafter”

Starring: Matt Damon, Cécile De France, Frankie and George… “Hereafter”

Starring: Matt Damon, Cécile De France, Frankie and George McLaren

Director: Clint Eastwood

Warner Bros. Pictures

Grade: B-

The afterlife is a hefty topic to cover in a 129-minute movie, but that didn’t stop the ever-daring Clint Eastwood from trying.

Chronicling the lives of three people preoccupied by death and serendipitous encounters, “Hereafter” follows the lead of “Babel” and “Crash,” sporting interweaving plotlines and a snappy one-word title.

George Lonegan (Matt Damon) is a psychic turned factory worker who desperately craves a normal life. Though his paranormal gifts are a great burden, so is his well-intentioned brother, who insists he start up the post-mortem communication business again.

Marie LeLay (Cécile De France) is a successful television host whose near-death experience leaves her asking questions about the afterlife. Surrounded by mostly unsympathetic people, she goes on a solo quest to research the “hereafter.”

Marcus (played by both Frankie and George McLaren) is devastated by his twin brother Jason’s abrupt passing. While his mom goes to rehab, he is put in a foster home, where his truancy and secrecy — both results of efforts to talk to his brother — are a huge burden on his foster parents.

It’s immediately obvious that these three people need to find each other to move on.

One of the initial difficulties this film faces is that it takes on a story more suited for contemplation than a blockbuster typically allows. It attempts to tackle deep issues and remain an escapist experience, muddling the story so it’s not quite thought-provoking and not entirely a romance.

Overall, the switching between narratives is well done, allotting just enough time to each character to watch their lives move forward in parallel. However, the characters lack endearment, partically because of the lack of background information.

We’re given only vague references as to what these people’s lives were like before we started watching them — George, for example, discusses his abilities’ effects on his past relationships without giving a specific anecdote. The lack of history makes the characters seem shallow at points and makes the end of their journeys less fulfilling than it could have been.

Thankfully, the actors do well. De France has a certain wide-eyed expressiveness that rounds out her character when dialogue is lacking. Damon isn’t new to the role of someone special in the life of an average Joe — see “Good Will Hunting”— and he fits comfortably into the part, save for a slight Boston lilt coming from a character claiming to be a native of San Francisco. The McLarens garner sympathy with their grim facial expressions and mostly meek voices.

Deft performances aside, “Hereafter” is enjoyable, but don’t expect great depth.