Football: Panthers get off to good start in Big East play against Syracuse

By Lauren Kirschman

The Pitt football team fans have been waiting for ­— the one they entered the season… The Pitt football team fans have been waiting for ­— the one they entered the season expecting ­­— finally made an appearance against Syracuse on Saturday. In the Big East Conference opener, the Panthers showed signs that they might just end the year in a BCS bowl.

Sure, the game was against Syracuse and the Orange are surely no Utah, Miami, or even Notre Dame, but the Panthers looked better than they did in wins against New Hampshire and Florida International as they defeated the Orange 45-14.

Going into the game, most assumed the final score would be close. The Orange were off to an unexpected quick start this season, getting through their nonconference schedule with only one loss and defeating South Florida in their Big East opener. The Panthers limped through the first portion of their schedule, entering the game with a record under .500 and lowered expectations from their fans.

By halftime, the Panthers and Orange looked like the teams they were supposed to be this season: Syracuse as a Big East bottom-dweller and Pitt as a conference favorite.

The Panthers jumped out to a fast start, with Tino Sunseri completing a wide-receiver screen to Devin Street who ran 79 yards for a touchdown. The Orange answered on their next drive, but after that, it was all Pitt.

Sunseri completed 17 of 26 passes for 281 yards and four touchdowns, with no interceptions. Although Sunseri still missed his fair share of receivers deep and was sacked twice, his improvement was both noticeable and encouraging.

He looked the part of a capable quarterback and leader against Syracuse, and Sunseri said his confidence grows with solid performances.

“My confidence all depends on how well I do,” Sunseri said. “I think if I go out there and focus on completions, it’s a totally different game. I need to keep going, finish completions and follow progressions.”

Consider Pitt’s issue of scoring difficulty in the red zone solved, at least for now. In four trips, the Panthers scored three touchdowns and kicked one field goal. The wide receivers played well and Street showed that he can definitely be the next receiving star for the Panthers, especially if Jonathan Baldwin declares for the NFL after this season as many expect.

Pitt’s dual running-back threat of Dion Lewis and Ray Graham was solid, with Lewis rushing for 78 yards on 14 carries and Graham rushing for 53 yards on 11 carries.

“He is playing outstanding,” head coach Dave Wannstedt said of Lewis. “He is going to have his games. Trust me, he will have his carries.”

Lewis showed flashes of the player from last season that Panther fans all know and love, darting through several holes in the Orange defense for quality gains.

Those holes came from a continually improving offensive line that’s opening up space for Pitt’s running backs. That space wasn’t there early in the season and although encouraging, the line still needs to give Sunseri more time, as the quarterback took several hard hits in the contest.

Defensively, Pitt was dominant, forcing a season-high four turnovers. Wannstedt said it was the best the defense played all season. Ricky Gary and Jarred Holley both had interceptions — Gary returned his pick 80 yards for a touchdown. Brandon Lindsey recorded a sack and Greg Williams and Jason Hendricks recovered fumbles.

“The guys just made up their minds that they were supposed to win up here and they had to play good defense,” Wannstedt said. “We have to play good defense every week.”

Pitt stifled Syracuse’s running game, holding Delone Carter and Antwon Bailey to 63 combined yards. The two were averaging about 150 yards per game. The Panthers also pressured Orange quarterback Ryan Nassib the entire game, keeping Nassib from finding any type of rhythm.

The Big East offers a sort of a fresh start for the Panthers, and from the performance against the Orange, it looks like they are going to take advantage of the opportunity. Gary said the team still has confidence in its season and each other.

“I do feel like we have it going for us,” Gary said. “I think we have guys who really understand what it takes to win and to be on the big screen. We know we need to make big plays.”