Senate candidates clash in final debate

By Mallory Grossman

The two candidates who are vying for U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter’s Senate seat demonstrated during… The two candidates who are vying for U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter’s Senate seat demonstrated during a debate on Friday that they diverge on a number of big policy issues including earmark spending, natural gas drilling and the controversial American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, among other issues.

Rep. Joe Sestak, the Democratic candidate who beat incumbent Specter in the Democratic primary, stressed his concern for the middle class and the extreme views of his opponent, Pat Toomey.

Toomey, the Republican candidate, talked about the federal government’s spending, the economy and his concern for his opponent’s liberal politics.

Rachel Feinstein, the president of the Pitt College Republicans, said the most important issues for students in this midterm election are jobs, the economy, health care, taxes and government spending at the state and national levels. She said these issues are relevant to all students, whether they are permanent residents of Pennsylvania or not.

Representatives for the College Democrats did not respond to requests for comment before press time.

The debate — the last before the Nov. 2 election — came days after several polls put Toomey and Sestak within the margin of error, meaning neither candidate has a strong lead.

Some polls, such as The Morning Call tracking poll, had Sestak and Toomey tied this past week, while the Rasmussen Reports have Toomey ahead by four points and two other polls have Sestak ahead by one point.

This data is in contrast to the Rasmussen Reports from Sept. 29 that had Toomey ahead by nine points.

Toomey said during the debate that he was not put off by the recent movement in the polls and said he always knew this was going to be a close race.

The candidates answered questions from the moderator, voters in Pittsburgh and questions sent in through Facebook.

John Berris, the Pitt College Republicans’ spokesman, said he thought the most significant issues discussed during the debate were government spending, jobs and energy, specifically Marcellus Shale gas drilling.

When asked about the Marcellus Shale drilling, Toomey said that it presents a huge economic opportunity for Pennsylvania, and, over the next 10 years, the development from it could generate one quarter of a million jobs.

Sestak said that although he is tired of getting oil from overseas, seven counties have already had their drinking water contaminated as a result of natural gas drilling..

“We need to get this right before we do it,” he said.

Both candidates constantly reinforced their backgrounds. Sestak reminded the audience of his 31 years serving in the U.S. Navy, while Toomey stressed his past as a small business owner of a family-run restaurant.

When Sestak was asked about the affordability of higher education after the debate, he highlighted part of the health-care reform bill that gave more money to Pell Grants and Stafford Loans by cutting out the bank as the middle man, thereby eliminating interest rates and extra fees to students.

Sestak also mentioned the Sunshine Bill, which is currently sitting in the Senate. This bill will increase transparency by making colleges that receive government funding publish their expenses and their reasons for increases in tuition.

Toomey said after the debate that he has been complimentary of President Barack Obama’s policies with regards to cost control in higher education.

Both candidates agreed that the tone the campaign has taken is unfortunate. Attack advertisements  from both sides have run on television for the past few weeks.

This did not stop the candidates from attacking each other during the debate. Toomey said, “Sestak’s only criticism is that Obama and Pelosi don’t go far enough,” in terms of government spending. Sestak said Toomey “is extreme and at the fringe of his party.”

Both candidates agreed that trying to do too much was their greatest fault, while their wives were their greatest assets.

Sestak ended the debate by urging everyone to get out and vote “to honor the men and women who are serving overseas.”