Times best-selling author talks business ethics

By Ryan Shaughnessy

John Perkins, a self-proclaimed “con man,” spoke about the value of corporate integrity last… John Perkins, a self-proclaimed “con man,” spoke about the value of corporate integrity last night against a backdrop of bald eagles and American flags.

More than 700 people attended his lecture in Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall on his roles as an economic hitman, Peace Corps member and CEO of an alternative energy company.

Perkins spoke about his past experiences with what he calls the American “corporatocracy.” The corporatocracy includes the heads of major U.S. corporations that, according to Perkins, assert global dominance through “predatory capitalism,” or profit maximization without credence to social and environmental costs.

Perkins explained in an interview that when he was hired as what he considered to be an “economic hitman” or “con man,” his official title was “economist.”

His history drew Zachary Zeli, vice president of project developments for Students in Free Enterprise at Pitt, to the lecture.

“I heard what he did was completely wrong,” he said.

For 10 years, Perkins participated in predatory capitalism and manipulated political leaders of developing countries to accept unfavorable loans.

He said his goal was to corrupt political leaders to accept certain loans — which did not maximize their nation’s best interests, but only benefited the nation’s wealthiest citizens and U.S. companies, he said.

Although he spoke against ruthless business tactics during his lecture, Perkins was once an integral part of the “corporatocracy.”

Students can change this, he said.

“The solution is ethical leadership — a new form of consciousness. Making profits and doing good are not exclusive,” Perkins said.

Perkins said he is trying to assuage his past transgressions through heavy involvement with nonprofit organizations, such as Dream Change, which promotes sustainable living, and through his commitment to spreading his message.

GSPIA student Betty Cruz invited the best-selling author and coordinated the event.

Cruz, who said Perkins’ book, “Confessions of an Economic Hitman,” was disgusting but inspiring, first spoke with him at a book-signing in Florida six years ago.

Once she heard that he was going on a book tour for his latest book, “Hoodwinked,” she went on his website to see if he was coming to Pitt. Because it wasn’t on his agenda, she e-mailed his publicist and brought Perkins to Pittsburgh for the first time.

In the past five years, he has visited more than 50 universities and institutions worldwide.

Pitt Business and the Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business and International Affairs were among the sponsors of the event.