Candidates attract students with slogans, philanthropy

By Ryan Shaughnessy

“Vote for Bals, the Total Package,” said one neon-colored T-shirt.

“Annie Get Your… “Vote for Bals, the Total Package,” said one neon-colored T-shirt.

“Annie Get Your Crown,” said another.

Some students wanted to “Fist Pump with Alex.”

Is this change one can believe in?

These slogans might not have the power of change, but they could drive students to vote for their favorite candidates during today’s Homecoming elections.

At least, that’s the goal.

Chancellor Mark Nordenberg and Jack Smith, president of the Alumni Association, will crown the the King and Queen at Saturday’s football game, out of a court of 10 candidates announced after tomorrow night’s fireworks and laser light show. To get a spot on that court, 16 students vie for votes as part of what some consider a popularity contest.

Others — both past winners and organizers — are trying to combat that perception.

Although the candidates have been campaigning for the past few weeks, some students don’t think the process is pertinent to campus life.

The Blue & Gold Society has taken steps to make the royal couple a more active part of campus, said Elaine Lewis, vice president of Traditions for the Blue & Gold Society.

“The King and Queen will be more active this year than in years past — for example, they are required to make a visit to Children’s Hospital with their crowns to bring a little cheer to the children there,” Lewis said.

Lewis said the royal couple do not have any responsibilities in addition to the hospital appearance. The candidates also do not need to be affiliated with any charities, or systematically keep track of past winners’ philanthropic actions — leading some students to question the role of the Homecoming Court.

Homecoming elections began as a popularity contest in March of 1931. The Pitt News — then called The Pitt Weekly — published a story encouraging students to vote for the campus ing and campus queen of popularity.

Although the titles have changed to Homecoming King and Queen, some students say the process is still influenced by the same concept.

Pitt senior Benjamin Gregory, a communications and rhetoric major, said he agreed, but does not see a negative side.

“The elections are definitely a popularity contest, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing,” he said.

Dalya Akyuz, 2009’s Homecoming Queen, disagreed.

“I really don’t think it’s a popularity contest,” she said. “I don’t think I was one of the most popular girls on campus. I always introduce myself and say ‘hi’ to people. I’m approachable. I always make myself available to people. I think that was the difference.”

Akyuz studied marketing at Pitt and was a member of the Delta Zeta sorority. She promoted the Make-A-Wish Foundation and ran under the slogan “Support a Child’s Dream … Vote Dalya for Queen.”

Lewis said that many candidates don’t necessarily raise money for the philanthropies they promote — instead, they find alternative ways to contribute, such as participating in events sponsored by the organization they are supporting.