Meghan McCain to visit Pitt

By Gretchen Andersen

Meghan McCain, the outspoken daughter of former Republican presidential candidate Sen. John… Meghan McCain, the outspoken daughter of former Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain, will visit campus next month in an event sponsored by Rainbow Alliance.

McCain, a blogger and author of the new book “Dirty Sexy Politics,” will give a lecture in 120 David Lawrence Hall at 8:45 p.m. Oct. 14. She will discuss her book, as well as the importance of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and queer issues and youth activism in politics and current events, according to her lecture agent, David Buchalter.

“She’s very much looking forward to speaking at the University of Pittsburgh,” Buchalter said in an e-mail.

McCain’s lecture will be part of Rainbow Alliance’s campus events for National Coming Out week — starting Oct. 11 — which also includes a game night, Speak Out and Diversity Semiformal.

Tim Craft, business manager of Rainbow Alliance, said the club worked for more than a year to bring McCain to campus.

“A lot of people and campus organizers have been trying to get her for a long time, so we’re excited,” Craft said, adding that Rainbown Alliance hopes to “branch out to other groups” by sending them e-mail invitations to the lecture, at the lecture.

The event, which will be free and open to the public, will feature a question-and-answer session at the end. Craft said people will be able to buy “Dirty Sexy Politics,” which recounts McCain’s life on the 2008 campaign trail.

Jamie Klousnitzer, publicity chair of Rainbow Alliance, said McCain’s visit is particularly exciting because many people associate her with the Republican party.

“Rainbow Alliance is a nonpartisan organization,” he said. “It’s really exciting to see a Republican come out for an event like this — often we are seen as a Democratic group.”

McCain is a 2007 graduate of Columbia University and contributes weekly to “The Daily Beast,” an aggregated news website.