Pittsburgh proves it has style

By Anna Weldon

Stereotypes say Pittsburgh isn’t chic, but one group is determined to refute that idea by… Stereotypes say Pittsburgh isn’t chic, but one group is determined to refute that idea by hosting the Steel City’s first  Fashion Week.

“It’s long overdue,” said LaMont Jones, the event’s assistant director and marketing manager. “Pittsburgh deserves Fashion Week.”

The inaugural bash kicked off this week with an event called “Clearing for Takeoff — Destination Fashion Oz,” which took place in the SouthSide Works square. Featured were stores EB Pepper, Jupe, Sugar, Roberta Weissburg Leathers, The Planet Pulse; and designers MJ Whalen and IroNeice by Kari Kramer.

Fashion shows and auctions will be held every night through Saturday starting between 6 and 8 p.m. at locations throughout the city. Tickets range from $10 to $40.

The week will end with a $40 brunch at the Omni William Penn Hotel, Downtown, on Sunday.

The week features different designers every day to help give them exposure and promote their work. Jones said the increased attention during this week  will give designers the opportunity to become better known in the community. Not only will designers have the chance for success during the week, shoppers and boutiques can scope out designers, aiding them in selling more.

“I’m extremely pleased that part of Fashion Week elevates the design and retail in Pittsburgh,” said Carrie Butler, the director of public relations at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh.

The Art Institute teamed up with Pittsburgh’s Fashion Week as a sponsor to better include students into the action. Jones stressed that the event is not only for fashionistas, up-and-coming designers and models — the event also tries to help students participate. Many of the events offer discounted tickets for students.

The “Thrifty Pass for Students,” which can be found on Pittsburgh Fashion Week’s website, pittsburghfashionweek.com, provided access to Monday night’s show, as well as full access this Friday and Saturday. Still, all tickets will be sold at the door to both students and the general public.

On Saturday morning, there will be a design contest for students. Both high school and college students are invited to join the competition. Students will work only with two black trash bags, two white trash bags and duct tape to complete a design in an hour.

The contest is titled “Treasure and the Trash Design Off.” The winner of the contest gains recognition for his or her design, as well as the title of Pittsburgh’s next top emerging designer, free admission to all Saturday runway shows and a gift basket.

Registration costs $10 and begins at 11 a.m. at the Ramada Green Tree close to Downtown. The competition is open to all students who want to show off their design skills.

Events for the week

Wednesday

PINK! Fashion Show Benefiting Susan G. Komen Foundation

Celebrating those who’ve survived cancer

7 p.m.

Senator John Heinz History Center, Downtown

Friday

Cajoli, Capriccio & Carabella

6 p.m.

Judy Originals & Crazy Hot Clothes

7 p,m.

Petite & Plus Perfection

8 p.m.

Ramada Hotel And Conference

Center Pittsburgh in Green Tree

Saturday

Laurie B. Allen & Katie Wolfrum

2 p.m.

Lana Neumeyer

3 p.m.

Brian David

4 p.m.

Pandora

5 p.m.

MarKav

6 p.m.

Spoiled Chics the Boutique

7 p.m.

Eco-chic Custom Designs and Charity Auction

8 p.m.

Ramada Hotel And Conference

Center Pittsburgh in Green Tree

Sunday

Pittsburgh Fashion Hall of Fame Luncheon

1:30 – 3:30 p.m.

Omni William Penn Hotel,

Downtown