Pitt professors widely published

By Emily Riley

Like many professors at Pitt, Carnegie Calian likes to write.

Calian teaches at the Katz… Like many professors at Pitt, Carnegie Calian likes to write.

Calian teaches at the Katz Graduate School of Business and published his 13th book in June, a leadership guide titled “The Spirit-Driven Leader: Seven Keys to Succeeding Under Pressure.”

Along with other Pitt professors who publish research and scholarly material, Calian attributes his writing success to a passion and interest in his subjects that goes beyond what he can cover in the classroom.

Although his book has only been on the shelves for a few months, Calian’s work is widely distributed. Copies can be found in the Book Center, on Amazon.com and even in larger bookstore chains, such as Barnes & Noble and Joseph-Beth Booksellers. Calian published this book, along with others, through Westminster John Knox Press, based in Kentucky.

Other Pitt professors often publish through the University of Pittsburgh Press. According to its website, the press seeks to “extend the reach and reputation of the University through the publication of scholarly, artistic, and educational books that advance learning and knowledge.”

The press also publishes books meant to “contribute to an understanding of … western Pennsylvania and the Upper Ohio Valley region,” according to the website.

Maria Sticco, the press’ publicist, said they have published works of two to three Pitt professors every year since the press opened in the 1980s.

Sticco discussed the busy lives of professors last week and reiterated how important passion is in the publishing business.

“I remember a certain writer who was publishing a series about the architecture of Florence, Italy,” she said. “He taught full-time, but when he could, he traveled back and forth from Italy to Pittsburgh in order to get the information and images he needed.”

Sticco speaks regularly with the authors she publicizes for the Press.

“These authors have got to be passionate about what they do,” she said. “Some books take years to complete. Without the necessary drive, [the books] would never get completed.”

And whereas the rigors of teaching can make finding the time to work on publishing projects difficult, Calian said that he still finds the passion and drive to produce his own creative installments.

Calian is the former director of the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary and said the bulk of his research experience involves the role of religion in modern-day society.

Kathryn Haines spends her days as a librarian in Pitt’s Center for American Music. These days, Haines is writing another novel.

So far, she has published two series of mystery novels based in the World War II era.

She said that simply remembering she loves to write helps her maintain composure throughout her hectic schedule.

Taking care of her young son also keeps her busy at home, she said, so she does much of her writing on the bus.

Calian and Haines both regard the passion for writing as the driving factor in their lives and the ultimate reason for their success.

Calian admitted that if it were not for his love of sharing knowledge, it might be difficult to find the inspiration to finish his writing.

Sometimes professors’ publications catch the interest of their students. Dana Townsend, a Pitt alumna, chose to read a few books by her professors.

“I gained an entirely new perspective on my professors by reading their books. It gave me a little peek inside their heads,” she said.

Since it takes a certain amount of devotion, passion and willingness to share personal thoughts to complete such projects amidst already hectic lives, Calian said another character trait is necessary as well.

“Courage,” Calian said. “You must be willing to go beyond the comfort zone. When you stop trying to go above and beyond, you stop progressing.”