Jovenitti: Top ten Pitt men’s basketball games to watch this season

By Tony Jovenitti

The men’s basketball schedule was released on Friday, and there are plenty of exciting… The men’s basketball schedule was released on Friday, and there are plenty of exciting matchups. It looks like Pitt will once again have one of the nation’s toughest schedules, with games against Tennessee, Maryland, Rhode Island and maybe Texas in addition to its grueling Big East schedule.

There are 33 regular-season games on the slate, and although it would be great to be able to watch all of them, I’m sure it would be tough. So here are the 10 matchups that you can’t miss this season.

10. Nov. 8 vs. Rhode Island — National powerhouses like Pitt typically open the season against a cupcake team like North Carolina-Greensboro or San Jose State, but this year Pitt is playing an Atlantic-10 power to kick off the season as part of the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic. The Rams consistently compete for the A-10 title against teams like Xavier and Temple. They have eight NCAA Tournament appearances, so this game could be a nice early test for the Panthers.

9. Jan. 17 vs. Syracuse — When Pitt and Syracuse get together, it always seems to be a memorable one. Last year, Pitt went to the Carrier Dome when the Orange were ranked at No. 5, and the unranked Panthers pulled off a monumental upset to make it known that it wasn’t going to be a rebuilding year. This year, the tables could be turned, and Pitt could be the favorite at home. Add to the fact that this game is on ESPN primetime, and this is one every Pitt student should not only watch but pack the Pete for.

8. Jan. 24 vs. Notre Dame — Luke Harangody finally graduated. He led the Irish for what seemed like a decade,, and now Notre Dame will have to come to Pittsburgh and try to hold off the Panthers. Pitt will be looking for a bit of revenge too. Not only did Notre Dame beat Pitt in the regular season last year, but it also knocked the Panthers out of the Big East tournament.

7. Feb. 24 vs. West Virginia — The last time Pitt and West Virginia were on ESPN primetime, the game went to triple overtime, and Pitt pulled out a win in perhaps the most exciting game in the history of the Petersen Events Center. And the time before that, a lot of classless things happened in one of the most disgraceful fan showings ever seen at the WVU Coliseum. Needless to say, this game should be a good one.

6. Dec. 1 vs. Duquesne — The first ever college basketball game at the new Consol Energy Center. Need I say more?

5. Dec. 27 vs. Connecticut — This is the second time in a row that the Huskies have visited the Pete while students were on break. Last time, however, Pitt still broke its own attendance record with 12,908 people at the 12,500-capacity Petersen Events Center. Hopefully, students will come back a little early for this game, because Pitt vs. Connecticut has become one of the Big East’s best rivalries.

4. Nov. 19 vs. TBA — Pitt will play Texas or Illinois in either the championship or consolation game in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic. Illinois is always a Big Ten contender, and Texas defeated Pitt last year in an early-season tournament in the CBE Classic in Kansas City, Mo., last year. This year, Pitt looks to return the favor.

3. Dec. 11 vs. Tennessee — The third ever college basketball game at Consol Energy Center will actually have a clear home team as Tennessee travels to Pittsburgh to take part in the DirecTV SEC/Big East Invitational. Tennessee was an Elite Eight team last year, and this could be a signature win for Pitt if it wants a high seed in the NCAA Tournament. In case you’re wondering, the second-ever game at the new arena will be Auburn vs. Rutgers for some reason, because apparently having West Virginia play in Pittsburgh would be too easy.

2. March 5 vs. Villanova — Remember that Connecticut game where I mentioned there were 12,908 people in attendance? Well, this could wind up being the exact same scenario as when the Huskies traveled to Pitt for the final regular-season game that featured two of the nation’s top five teams. So don’t plan on heading home for spring break early this year. It would be wise to stay for this game.

1. Big East tournament game vs. TBA — A few weeks ago, the Big East coaches voted to keep the current format of the tournament at Madison Square Garden, which means the top four teams will receive double-byes. Last year, three of those teams lost in their first game, including Pitt, which did the exact same thing the year before. It looks like Pitt will be in the top four again this year, so this could be a huge game to see if Pitt can claim back the power it used to hold in Madison Square Garden.

Three years ago, Pitt was 6-0 in the Garden when it beat Duke and St. John’s there during the season and then won four games in four days to win the Big East Championship in 2008. Last year, however, Pitt went 0-2 at the Garden. Pitt will have three regular-season games there this year, and hopefully they Panthers can make it their “home away from home” court again.

So out of the 10 best games, eight of them are in Pittsburgh. The schedule looks great — here’s to hoping the team follows suit.