‘Biddie’ fashion is a common faux pas

By Bethie Girmai

Every morning when I wake up to go to class, I wear a variation of the same basic outfit. My… Every morning when I wake up to go to class, I wear a variation of the same basic outfit. My “weekday” outfits are usually comprised of something J.Crew, something Polo or Urban Outfitters and always something blue — Tiffany Blue, that is. Although my style leans toward the preppy side of the fashion spectrum, I bid farewell to that section of my wardrobe every Friday night around 5 p.m.

This is when I open what I like to refer to as “the weekend drawer.” This drawer, only appropriate for weekend shenanigans, is something of a goody bag for me. The clothing in this drawer is a little sexier, edgier and shorter. The items employ the use of far less material than the items in my weekday drawer.

Now every time I stand above this drawer, ready to choose an outfit, I ponder my objectives. The weekend outfit must be comfortable, preferably attract the attention of the opposite sex, make me feel good and, most importantly, not classify me as a “biddie.”

What is a biddie, you might ask? It’s a girl who, too concerned with what people think of her, overcompensates by slathering on makeup and cladding herself, usually scantily, in flashy clothing.

You’ve all seen them before. They’re not hard to find — especially around parties during the opening weekends of the semester — but they’re harder to find on campus. Not unlike bears, biddies like to hibernate. Rather than finding a cave to spend the winter in, biddies hibernate in a different fashion.

See, your average biddie is incredibly skilled at disguising her true colors Sunday through Thursday. You might see them walking to and from class in anything from designer jeans and leather jackets to their high school cheerleading sweatshirts. However, in my experience, most biddies favor yoga pants during the school week, Juicy Couture velour sweatsuits and Ugg boots.

As early as Thursday night, biddies can be seen frequenting the steps by the Pete, heading to parties and grabbing dinner at Qdoba, terribly overdressed. However, the biddie phenomenon is at its peak weekend nights on the 10A bus. Biddies run wild on the 10A in their mini skirts and high heels, toting their suspicious water bottles. You’re not fooling anyone, ladies, we all know that’s not Evian you’re carrying.

In any case, I’ve visited the issue of the biddie phenomenon for a reason. I, myself, was once a biddie. I know it’s hard to believe, but most of us have a little biddie fighting to come out. I reached my biddie peak during my freshman year.

I’ll be the first to admit how easy it can be to get caught up in the craze. Your first semester of college entices you with parties, boys, new friendships and ghastly biddie attire. It can be tempting to fall in step with the phenomenon, but such a fate is also easy to avoid. It’s true! By following a few simple guidelines, you can embrace your inner biddie while simultaneously allowing your style to mature.

Rule number one is to avoid logos. Most of us have had a Hollister or Abercrombie phase, but hopefully you grew out of it when you received your high school diploma. The exception to the rule is what I like to refer to as “the highly esteemed and occasionally worshiped fashion gods.” The fashion gods include the likes of Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Lacoste, Gucci, Burberry, etc. For the most part, newer brands are those that should be considered suspect.

Now, on a college student’s budget the fashion gods are out of reach. But, remember, a stuffed bank account won’t buy you style. Some of the staple items in my wardrobe have been found on shopping sprees to T.J. Maxx and vintage stores. Go on a trip to your favorite dive stores and outlet malls and, I promise, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at what awaits you.

At the risk of resembling a public service announcement, rule number two is always stay true to your own personal style. I know you’ve all heard this before from teachers, your mom and various members of your entourage — but it’s true. Most girls  —and guys — are at their most beautiful when they refuse to conform. By no means am I suggesting that you should walk to class dressed as Lady Gaga, bless her, but don’t ever feel pressured to dress in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable.

When a gal feels great in what she wears, that confidence is exuded from the inside, out. Always remember, ladies, a happy fashionista is a healthy and confident fashionista. So I’ll see you out this weekend. I’ll be the one with the impeccable style.