Pro-Palestine literature at a sit-in protest in Schenley Plaza on Tuesday.
SGB releases statement in support of Pitt Gaza solidarity encampment
By Abby Lipold, News Editor • April 29, 2024

Students share favorite study spots on campus

Nate Yonamine | Senior Staff Photographer
Pitt students study in the William Pitt Union.

According to Claire Donnellan, the best places to study for finals are ones filled with other people “doing the same thing” as her.

“I just need to be in an environment where people are going to get work done,” Donellan, a junior marketing and communications double major, said. “And my apartment is definitely not associated with that, it’s associated with lounging and chores.” 

With final exams, papers and projects due over the next two weeks, students are scrambling to finish their work, and to do so, a good place to study is essential. Across Pitt’s campus, there are plenty of enriching spots where students tend to go for the best study environment, such as Hillman Library, the William Pitt Union, the Cathedral of Learning and Posvar Hall. 

Maximus Cooper, a junior studying psychology, highlights Pitt’s main study attraction — Hillman Library. 

“It’s more of a comfortable area where there’s a lot of people who are already working,” Cooper said. “You just have to join in with everybody, lock in, and do your work.” 

Hillman is a popular spot for studying since it’s the campus’ biggest library. However, each floor of Hillman is accompanied by different levels of noise, which influences where students choose to study. 

“I like the second floor,” Cooper said, “Something about the second floor; it’s where everybody is louder, there are more people, and you can just see everybody else working.”

Sophie Runia, a sophomore biology and German double major, goes to Hillman when she is studying with her friends because of the big whiteboards there. When deciding which level they will go to, she also prefers the second floor. 

“The second floor is not quite as intense as the first floor can be,” Runia said, “And people aren’t going to give you looks for talking, like on the fourth floor.”

Since Hillman is such a popular study spot, it can be difficult finding a place to sit on any floor. Runia said despite Hillman being “full a lot of the time,” she doesn’t like studying at home because it’s not a place associated with learning for her. 

“I’ll go back to the apartment and study there, but it’s loud because I have roommates,” Runia said. “It’s important to find a little quiet place somewhere. The environment is really important because, if you’re studying in places that you would do other activities, you’re much more likely to distract yourself, since it’s not a space meant for working.” 

When there is a lack of seating in Hillman and students are on the search for another study spot, Donnellan recommends visiting Pitt’s School of Medicine. 

“I may not be a medical student,” Donnellan said. “But I do go to the med school and study outside of Panera Bread. It’s cool and it makes me feel important.” 

Pitt’s med school is open late hours for students to access with a range of seating and a library on the first floor. Donnellan calls attention to another spot where students may not think to study — the Peterson Events Center. 

“The Pete actually doesn’t have bad study spots, and it has great food right by it,” Donnellan said. “Anywhere with some good lighting, so I can stay awake, and maybe some good treats around is always encouraging.” 

There are spots in every corner of Pitt’s campus for students to study in, regardless of a student’s preferred environment. However, if students want to stay closer to middle campus, Caitlin Raehse, a sophomore studying social work, loves to study in the William Pitt Union. 

“I really like the Tansky Family Lounge in the Union,” Raehse said, “I like to go to places that are cozy, where there’s couches, maybe a fireplace or something like that.”

Pitt students study in the William Pitt Union. (Nate Yonamine | Senior Staff Photographer)

If the first floor lounge of the WPU is busy, Raehse recommends other spots for studying as well. She said her “next best spot” is the ninth floor lounge of the Union, where there is more privacy, because she “studies best alone.” 

Another spot on central campus for students to study at is the Cathedral of Learning. Cooper said the Cathedral has multiple study spots, whether it’s the first floor main room or certain unoccupied rooms. 

“There’s spots in the Cathedral that are real nice and cozy,” Cooper said. “You can have your self-isolation in certain rooms just to study. That’s where I love to go.”

The Cathedral is popular among many students because of the building’s “attractive” design, Cooper said, which consequently fosters learning. Madison Rhoams, a junior natural science major, advertises another building with nice furniture and attractive study spots — Posvar Hall.

“There is this one booth by the windows where it’s a high-top table on the second floor,” Rhoams said. “And also, there’s a lounge on the fifth floor with a microwave in it. There are a bunch of tables, it’s very secluded, and you can close the door.”

Even during finals week, when finding an on campus study spot is extra difficult, there are a multitude of places where students can look. Rhoams said finding the best study spot — before and during finals week — is not about location, but about the encouragement from seeing other people work. 

“I need to be around other people who are doing work so I can body double them,” Rhoams said. “If I know that they’re being productive, then I have to be productive as well.” 

Briana Bindus, Staff Writer