Tony’s Top 10: Things to hope for in 2010-2011

By Tony Jovenitti

In my past three years at Pitt, I’ve witnessed some incredible sporting accomplishments.

I saw the Panthers upset No. 2-ranked West Virginia to ruin the Mountaineers’ national championship hopes in the 100th Backyard Brawl… In my past three years at Pitt, I’ve witnessed some incredible sporting accomplishments.

I saw the Panthers upset No. 2-ranked West Virginia to ruin the Mountaineers’ national championship hopes in the 100th Backyard Brawl. I watched as Ronald Ramon swished a 3-pointer at the buzzer to defeat West Virginia in the Petersen Events Center’s first buzzer beater. I saw Pitt win the Big East tournament as the No. 7 seed. I experienced the Steelers’ Super Bowl win and the ensuing riots. I watched the Panthers make it to the Elite Eight in the NCAA Tournament, and I watched the Penguins win the Stanley Cup in thrilling Game 7 fashion.

But I want to see many more accomplishments before I graduate. So for my top 10 list this week, I will count down the greatest things I want to see but will be tough to achieve while I’m a student, and if any of them happen this year, then I will stand at the top of the Cathedral staircase and perform “I’m a Little Teapot.”

10. I want to see the Miami Heat miss the playoffs. The only thing worse than listening to ESPN try to make me care about the NBA is listening to ESPN try to make me care about where LeBron James will end up. After James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade decided to start an evil empire in South Beach — with James’ hour-long middle finger to Cleveland on national television — I actually started to feel bad for Cleveland. Nothing would be funnier or more bittersweet than seeing the Heat miss the playoffs. Heck, I would even settle for a first-round exit.

9. I want to see the Steelers go undefeated during Roethlisberger’s suspension. Roethlisberger is suspended for up to six games to start the season after the NFL and the Steelers have deemed that he needs to be punished for his actions, even though the charges of sexual assault were dropped. Imagine if the Steelers started off 6-0 — or 4-0 if his punishment is shortened. Yes, I want to see the Steelers succeed, but I also think it would be hilarious to see how crazy Pittsburgh goes when the local media starts calling for the team to trade Roethlisberger and go with Byron Leftwich — or Dennis Dixon, whoever winds up as starter — after six-games of success.

8. I want to see a non-“Big Six” team in the national championship game. I would love to see a team other than USC, Texas, Ohio State or any SEC team win the BCS National Championship. Even though schools like Utah, Boise State and TCU routinely go undefeated, they never get invited to the national championship game. But this could be the year for Boise State if it can defeat Virginia Tech in its opener. It would be nice if it’s finally allowed to play for all the marbles. Unfortunately, for Utah to make it, the team must defeat Pitt in the opener on Sept. 2.

7. I want to see Pitt in the Final Four. Two years ago, Pitt was seconds away from going to the Final Four, and that image of Scottie Reynolds racing up the court undefended to win the game for Villanova will haunt me for years. Pitt has never made the modern Final Four, and to make matters worse, West Virginia made it last year before falling to Duke. So I would love nothing more than to see Pitt finally make a Final Four before I graduate.

6. I want to see Dion Lewis win the Heisman. The key to winning the Heisman is having hype, and there’s a reason the trophy usually goes to the best player from USC, Florida, Ohio State or Oklahoma — those schools have a lot of hype and get a lot of exposure in the beginning of the year. The first week of the season is crucial in the Heisman race. Lewis is one of the best running backs in the country, and he could be the best this year. Luckily, Pitt will receive a lot of exposure the first week by playing Utah — and having the game broadcast on Versus — on opening night before almost all other teams play their first game. So if Lewis has a big game at Utah, he could be in the discussion. But if Larry Fitzgerald couldn’t win it, Lewis will need a huge year to knock off incumbent winner Mark Ingram.

5. See Pitt football go undefeated. Pitt returns many of its core players from 2009’s 10-3 team. One of those losses was a fluke loss to N.C. State, and the other two losses were by two points or less. It isn’t inconceivable that Pitt could have been undefeated last year, and the common perception is the Panthers will be even better next year. So it could happen, but again, it’s on this list because the schedule is quite challenging.

4. See the Pirates finish with a winning record. This includes the 2011 season, because, well, just take a look at the Pirates’ 2010 record. I’ve been a Pirates fan my whole life, though. Some of my fondest childhood memories are attending Buccos games at Three Rivers Stadium with my family. But the last time the Pirates had a winning season, I was 3. So I doubt I appreciated it very much. I’ve been to games at Wrigley Field and Fenway Park where the crowds were exciting and the teams were competitive. I would love to see that in Pittsburgh.

3. See the Penguins win the Stanley Cup on home ice. Only once was the Stanley Cup presented on the ice in Pittsburgh, and it was to the wrong team. The Penguins won it in Minnesota, Chicago and Detroit, but never in Pittsburgh. I realize the Pens just won the Cup, and I know I’m being selfish wishing for another one, but I see videos of teams like the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Anaheim Ducks win the Cup on their home ice, and I get extremely jealous. The Penguins couldn’t do it in the team’s 43-year history at the Igloo. Wouldn’t it be cool if it only took one year to do it at the Consol Energy Center?

2. See the Pitt women’s basketball team defeat Connecticut. The Connecticut women’s basketball team has won 5,364 games in a row, I think. The team hasn’t lost a game in more than two years, and it wins most of them by 40 points or more. It will lose a game sooner or later. How cool would it be if Pitt took it down?

1. See Pitt win the National Championship — basketball or football. This is kind of tied in with No. 5 and No. 7, but I would love nothing more than to see Pitt win a national championship during my senior year. Granted, Pitt has a much better chance in basketball because there is actually a fair system to determine a champion, but if the football team goes undefeated, it would be very tough for the BCS selection committee to justify not putting Pitt in the title game. But Pitt already starts the season in a hole for the same reason Lewis has a disadvantage at winning the Heisman — a lack of hype for the conference in which it plays.

So there you have it. I’ll see you at the Cathedral. I’ll be the one sporting a handle and spout in correct teapot fashion.