Woman dead after large steel cylinder rolled away from Petersen Events Center construction site
By Spencer Levering, News Editor • May 3, 2024

Genius, Joy and Love program aims to eliminate racial disparities in education

Pitt+Education%E2%80%99s+Michelle+Sobolak%2C+Cassie+Quigley+and+Khirsten+L.+Scott+%28left+to+right%2C+top+row%29+pose+with+students+Tyler+Gregory+and+Nina+Rorabaugh+%28left+to+right%2C+bottom+row%29.+
Image via Pittwire / Photography by Tom Altany
Pitt Education’s Michelle Sobolak, Cassie Quigley and Khirsten L. Scott (left to right, top row) pose with students Tyler Gregory and Nina Rorabaugh (left to right, bottom row).

A School of Education program aims to encourage people of color to become educators in Pennsylvania, starting with students in high school.

The Genius, Joy and Love program, created two years ago by the School of Education, “brings rising high school seniors and first-year college students from Pittsburgh Public Schools to Pitt’s campus for a mini college experience that encourages them to consider careers in education.”

Cassie Quigley, chair of the Department of Teaching, Learning and Leading and professor of scene education, believes that it’s important to address why only 6% of Pennsylvania educators are people of color.

“It’s no secret that students of color often experience schooling in different ways than their white peers,” Quigley said. “If that experience was oppressive and isolating, what is the pull back into those physical spaces?” 

The program, now in its third year, received the University’s Partnerships of Distinction Award for its work. The participants are also able to receive the Advancing Educators of Color scholarship to gain funding to train to be educators.

Ryleigh Lord, News Editor
Ryleigh Lord is the head news editor at The Pitt News. She is a junior history and English writing major with an Irish minor. She also contributes to the culture desk, mostly to talk about the shows and movies she loves. In her free time, she's usually cheering on Arsenal WFC despite their best efforts to break her spirit. You can contact her at [email protected]