Betül Tuncer, editor-in-chief.

Betül Tuncer, editor-in-chief.

Pitt names Phil Bakken vice chancellor and secretary to Board of Trustees

Image via Pittwire.
Portrait of new Board of Trustees Vice Chancellor and Secretary Phil Bakken.

Pitt announced Phil Bakken as the next vice chancellor and secretary to the Board of Trustees on Monday, March 25. 

Bakken, who will start June 28, has a bachelor’s degree in economics and a master’s degree from Nebraska Wesleyan University. He will replace Paul Supowitz, who has served as the acting interim secretary since September

Bakken currently serves as the chief of staff to the president and corporation secretary to the Board of Regents of the University of Nebraska System, where he held roles as president of the University Technology Development Corporation, interim assistant vice president for budget, special assistant to the president and industry relations coordinator. 

“Phil brings to Pitt an extensive and impressive record of experience in higher education,” Chancellor Joan Gabel said to Pittwire. “I look forward to working with him as a member of the leadership team as he extends Paul’s great work of shepherding the board’s activities during an important time for our University.”

During his time at Nebraska, Bakken received the Vice Chancellor’s Award for Invaluable Service at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. He is also a member of the executive council for the Nebraska Statewide Workforce and Educational Reporting System, board chair for Invest Nebraska and assistant secretary-treasurer for the Nebraska Defense Research Corporation.

Bakken’s role as secretary will entail advising the Board of Trustees in its work for the University and advertising its educational and scientific goals as an organization. 

“I’m excited and honored to join the University of Pittsburgh team,” Bakken said. “I look forward to working with Chancellor Gabel, Chair-elect Verbanac and the entire Board of Trustees to help advance the next steps in the governance review initiative.”

Abby Lipold, Assistant News Editor
Abby Lipold is the Assistant News Editor for the News Desk. She is an English Nonfiction Writing major and is pursuing a BPhil in International and Area Studies. She has been writing for The Pitt News since January 2022. You can contact Abby at [email protected].