Football: Imoru trying to sure up Panther secondary in first year at Pitt

By Kyle Craig

A 1,300-mile trip for the opportunity to be placed in front of Jonathan Baldwin in man-to-man… A 1,300-mile trip for the opportunity to be placed in front of Jonathan Baldwin in man-to-man coverage — it’s not exactly a defensive back’s dream, but for new Pitt football player Saheed Imoru, it’s a reality.

Imoru, a native of Houston, recently arrived at Pitt after spending two years at Navarro Junior College in Corsicana, Texas. Now, as spring camp continues, Imoru is receiving immediate opportunities to sure up Pitt’s defensive backfield.

The cornerback position remains one of the biggest question marks hanging over the Pitt football team as the April 17 spring game approaches. With the graduation of Jovani Chappel and two-time All-Big East player Aaron Berry, the Panthers need to replace both of their starting cornerbacks.

The urgent need for the cornerback spot is why Pitt targeted a junior college defensive back. However, Imoru’s significance increased when an injury prevented senior Ricky Gary from participating in spring practice.

The Texan was immediately thrown into first-team action and has had the opportunity to test himself against the Pitt receiving corps.

“It’s a real good situation. I just need to make the most of my opportunity and take advantage of it every day,” Imoru said after Saturday’s scrimmage.

Imoru is no stranger to quality performances. In junior college he was an all-conference performer, amassing 68 tackles, 18 pass breakups and three interceptions his final year at Navarro.

At the beginning of camp, his junior college success transferred to the Pitt practice field.

“The positive is that everything that we saw him do on tape at the junior college, he’s done here,” head coach Dave Wannstedt said during the first week of spring practice.

Lately though, Imoru has cooled off a bit, and now he hopes to battle through his slump and elevate his game.

“The first couple of days I was doing real good, and then this last week has probably been my worst week here. And I need to pick it up a lot,” Imoru said.

Adjusting to defensive coordinator Phil Bennett’s system and playing with more emotion are two of the necessary improvements that Imoru noted.

Along with Imoru, junior Antwuan Reed and redshirt junior Buddy Jackson are competing for time at the cornerback slots. Reed received a modest amount of game action last season, while Jackson is still looking to make an impact in his college career.

After Saturday’s scrimmage, during which the offense was performing to maximum capability, Wannstedt noted that the defensive backfield is a bit of a work in progress.

“Antwuan, Saheed, Buddy Jackson — they’re all getting better. We have a ways to go,” Wannstedt said. “They’re inexperienced guys, and new guys and young guys. We’ve got to just keep coaching them and keep being positive. They’ve got the ability to play. We’ve just got to get them to that point.”

As for the junior college newcomer, he’s set his sights on a starting position for when the ball gets kicked off this fall. In fact, Imoru, who also had scholarship offers from Iowa State, New Mexico and North Texas, would expect to challenge for a starting role even if last year’s starters didn’t graduate.

“The situation, with the two corners leaving, I never took that into account because I have a lot of confidence in myself,” Imoru said. “So whatever school I was going to pick, I was looking to earn a starting job. Nothing is given, of course, and wherever you go you’ve got to earn everything you have.”

At the moment, he’ll have to earn the coach’s confidence as the competition continues to heat up through spring camp.

“I don’t know how it’s all going to unfold at the end, but we’re awful happy that we have him,” Wannstedt said.