NFL Draft: Several Panthers go on to next level

By Tony Jovenitti

They might be leaving Pitt, but five Panthers could return to Heinz Field in the near future… They might be leaving Pitt, but five Panthers could return to Heinz Field in the near future — this time on professional teams.

Two tight ends, Nate Byham and Dorin Dickerson, were selected in the NFL Draft, whereas cornerback Aaron Berry, offensive lineman John Malecki and defensive lineman Mick Williams signed with teams as free agents.

Byham was selected by the San Francisco 49ers in the sixth round as the 182nd pick overall.

Dickerson, who was speculated by some mock drafts to go as early as the second round, slid all the way to the 7th round. The Houston Texans selected him as the 227th overall pick.

The Texans chose another tight end in the fourth round, Garrett Graham. There are already four other tight ends on the team, so both draftees face tough competition to make the team.

Williams signed with the New York Jets shortly after the draft. He said the team contacted him during the draft.

“They said they didn’t have enough draft picks to pick me, but they wanted me on the team,” he said.

He will report to the Jets’ rookie camp on Thursday, and he’s not worried about adjusting to a new style and level of play.

“I wasn’t playing the same style in high school as I did in college,” he said. “I play football so I can adjust to anything.”

Williams said he wasn’t disappointed that he wasn’t selected in the draft.

“I’m just blessed to be in this position,” he said. “So I’m going to make the most of it.”

Berry signed with the Detroit Lions after his name wasn’t called in the draft.

He, too, said he wasn’t disappointed.

“I knew the situation going in,” he said. He was projected to go anywhere from the sixth round or not be selected.

He said the Lions were talking to him throughout the day Saturday. He said he will be playing at cornerback and on special teams.

“It’s a good opportunity and I have a good connection with the team,” Berry said.

The Lions have been one of the NFL’s worst teams in recent years, but Berry said the situation is similar to when he came to Pitt as a freshman. Pitt had a few losing seasons before Berry arrived.

“[The Lions] are trying to get better, and we’re going to work to get them back into a winning position,” Berry said. “Just like how we worked to get Pitt back to a winning position.”

Malecki signed with the Tennesee Titans.

The three other Panthers who entered the draft, linebacker Adam Gunn, defensive lineman Gus Mustakas and quarterback Bill Stull, have yet to sign with teams.