Too Late for Roses ‘Debut’ a dissapointing album

By Larissa Gula

Too Late for Roses

Debut

LPE

Sounds Like: Pacific Dust

Debut

LPE

Sounds Like: Pacific Dust

Grade: C+

Too Late for Roses? But the band’s album Debut is just debuting now; don’t they deserve roses?

Described as alternative and punk, Too Late for Roses kicks off its album Debut with a song that fits its genre mold. “Take Me Out” runs through swiftly with a solid-sounding instrumental mashup of guitars, drums and the other necessities of just about any punk band.

The vocals sound like they were run through a synthesizer, blending into the music. When are they understandable? When the singer screams, “Take me out.”

The band tones it down for most of the album, begging the question: Why compose two hard punk and techno style songs that don’t fit in with the rest of the album?

None of the other songs really tune into the “punk” genre, instead becoming soft alternative and guitar based. Even then, whatever the band members sing is often not noteworthy. It’s easier to listen to their music and stare into space daydreaming than it is to pay attention to their lyrics.

But the last track on the album, “Winter Tide,” is almost 20 minutes long. And while it starts this finale off with a fantastic acoustic guitar, it fills about 15 minutes with what sounds like static. What was the point, guys? Static is for bad cable connections, not album releases that need to make a good impression.

This album isn’t bad for a “debut” — but seriously, it lost a ton of points for static.