Football: Mason stepping up at middle linebacker

By Kyle Craig

Standing at 6 feet tall and weighing in at 230 pounds, Dan Mason doesn’t look like a… Standing at 6 feet tall and weighing in at 230 pounds, Dan Mason doesn’t look like a typical 18-year-old.

The Penn Hills Senior High School linebacker is one of the most imposing athletes on the field as the Panthers continue spring camp at their Southside complex. However, Mason will be asked to do more than just pass the “eye test” this fall.

With the departure of Adam Gunn, the significant responsibility of playing middle linebacker in Head Coach Dave Wannstedt’s 4-3 defensive scheme falls solely on Mason’s broad shoulders.

“Every day is a learning experience for him, and it will continue that way all the way through next season,” Wannstedt said after practice Saturday.

Middle linebacker is one of 11 positions for which the Panthers will need to find a new starter. However, unlike the center and cornerback positions, there is little speculation as to who the permanent replacement in the middle of the linebacker corps will be next year.

Last season, as a true freshman, Mason played in each of Pitt’s 13 games, including starts against Navy, N.C. State and North Carolina.

The young linebacker showed impressive flashes, winning Big East Defensive Player of the Week for his work against Navy and intercepting a pass in the Meineke Car Care Bowl. He also showed room to improve during a less-than-stellar outing in Pitt’s loss to N.C. State.

The final statistics for Mason’s first year amounted to 26 tackles, two sacks and one interception.

Under the instruction of new linebackers coach Bernard Clark, Mason will try to consistently improve as he moves into his role as Pitt’s starting middle linebacker. According to Clark, the first step involves controlling the energy and athleticism that makes Mason a natural on the defensive side of the ball.

“The best thing about Dan is he has such natural instincts,” Clark said. “You really have to slow him down. He’s so excited about playing. He’s really hyper when he’s out there on the field.”

Like most young players, Mason is likely to experience some growing pains as his role on the team becomes more significant. To Wannstedt, maintaining a proper mindset will be a crucial component to the sophomore’s development.

“The key is that [Mason keeps] the right attitude and he [wants] to absorb and get better every day. As long as he keeps that attitude, which he has now, we’ll be fine,” Wannstedt said.

The task of being a full-time starter in his sophomore season doesn’t seem to intimidate Mason. High expectations aren’t new to him, considering he was one of the most touted and sought-after prospects in Pitt’s 2009 recruiting class.

“[I’m] just taking it one day at a time, trying to get better and better every day in all areas of the game,” he said.

Beyond replacing Gunn’s position on defense, Pitt will also need someone to fill the void in leadership that he has left behind. Through the beginning of spring practice, Mason already leads his teammates with his performance, according to Clark.

“He probably leads more by example than anything else,” Clark said. “He’s taking the lead in the huddle because he’s playing hard [and] guys are looking for him to do something to make them respond. In that aspect, I think he’s a great leader.”

For the moment, Mason is concentrating on his own play and letting everything else come gradually.

“If [my teammates] see me as a leader, I’ll take on that role with a full head of steam. I just try to go hard in everything I do [and] try to lead by example,” he said.

Last year’s experience has given Mason a foundation on which to build and motivation for the upcoming season.

“Once you taste college football — that game speed and everything — it’s contagious, it’s addictive,” he said. “I’m going to go hard just so I can get even better than last year. I saw the field a couple times [last year], now I’m trying to see it [for] the whole season.”